I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I made a vintage style apron

for my dear friend who is having a birthday. She gave me a pattern for vintage aprons months ago and this is one of the designs I chose to  make for her. We were shopping together when I purchased the fabric that she liked.


(click onto photo for more detailed look)

However, I wanted to add something more to the apron.........something in embroidery .............
of course. I embroidered this butterfly onto the top of the pocket,  to go with the butterfly fabric of the apron.........
and because my friend loves butterflies.

I worked the very top of the pocket in closed buttonhole stitch, which is the stitch  I often use in cut work embroidery. I also worked this stitch on the main outside of the butterfly to give it definition. With the stitching embroidered on the top of the pocket, I was able to cut away the fabric, giving the pocket a scalloped look. I also worked eyelets  throughout the butterfly's wings.
This added a personal touch, I think, to the apron.
How about you?
Do you find yourself changing patterns..........or adding to them to make them a little more special?
I would love to hear.

14 comments:

staci said...

Such a sweet apron and the pocket detail is beautiful!

Betty Lou said...

Beautiful-------your embroidered butterfly is perfect. Such nice work, your friend will love it.

Cindy said...

We must be on the same wavelength - I was thinking about making an apron with a vintage look! I love the butterfly embroidery, especially making it scalloped like that. Very creative!

lil red hen said...

Gorgeous!! Just gorgeous!! I haven't added extras this special for sure, but may give it some thought. I'm sure your friend will cherish it.

Hill Top Post said...

What a wonderful gift. You have certainly captured the vintage look, and the embroidery work is just beautiful.

Bev said...

what a beautiful apron...and what a lucky friend!...

Anonymous said...

I love, love, the apron, Kathleen! Oh, I'm so glad they are back in style. The butterfly apron is wonderful! My question is, how did you cut out the little holes for the eyelet? The fabric - everything is so wonderful, I would wear that all the time.

Enjoy the day,
Marianne

Nicola said...

Friendship is a work of heart. What a wonderful gift you have made.

drafter29 said...

The apron will see a lot of use. It is absolutely beautiful & will be cherished, just like our friendship.

GardenOfDaisies said...

The butterfly pockets are so pretty!!

Sharon said...

This apron is beautiful! I love the fabric and the coordinating pocket!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Very pretty! Your friend will, of course, love it. Sure wish I could sew. My creative mojo seems to be taking a break at the moment. :/ Hope you have a great weekend. Tammy

A Colorful World said...

It's just gorgeous! I LOVE the butterfly! Your friend is going to be thrilled! And, yes, I do tend to like changing things up a bit and making them more "me."

Ladybug said...

Been thinking about all those old
vintage apron that my Aunts and Granny once made.
Yours is beautiful love the fabric
as well. Thanks for sharing your
talented gift all of us :-)
Hugs Ladybug