I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's not only my gardens that are full of blossoms and butterflies...............

my studio is overflowing with them as well!
Spring has put me into the mood to create


blossoms and butterflies..................

which inspired me this past week, to make flower coasters

as well as butterfly coasters.

I have always loved the little vintage sets of cocktail coasters that were once used to set a glass upon during parties...............

Wouldn't a set of 6 of these in different colors
be lovely for a spring luncheon?
How about you?
Do you like to use cloth napkins or coasters at your table?
What kind of dishware do you like to use?
I would love to hear!

13 comments:

Nicola said...

What a lovely idea. Perfect for afternoon tea on the patio.

MeganH said...

My 'special platter' for serving biscuits/cheese etc to guests was painted by my Great Aunt Sylivia (whom I sadly miss). It's pink/cream orchids on a black background.

Butterflies and flowers - my favourites!

Hill Top Post said...

The most beautiful coasters ever...what a lovely idea!

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

Love the flower coasters! We use cloth napkins but I've never embroidered any -- hmmm, maybe I should!

staci said...

You have your very own indoor butterfly garden! They are gorgeous...even though I'm a firm believer in using everything, these may be just a little too pretty!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea, Kathleen! Using cloth coasters would look so pretty.

I embroidered a tablecloth and matching napkins years ago and never use them. Maybe I should get them out.

Using paper is so easy, but there's something to be said about 'yesteryear's' style.

Blessings,
Marianne

papel1 said...

Well I admit we eat usually on a TV tray, but I do use a lot of coasters and have them all over the house. I sew them, do needle felting, quilt them and have embroidered them too.
Judy

lil red hen said...

I'd never thought about making things like this!! In a smaller size they would make great applique pieces for clothing, especially for children.

I like to use heavy plates such as Fiesta ware; I just like the feel of stoneware.

Bev said...

So beautiful! What talent you have!

Karen said...

Those are so beautiful, but I would be constantly worried about things spilling on them! They would be nice for a very special occasion, though!

A Colorful World said...

These are wonderful! I love your creative process too! I like the round coasters for maybe lining a tray of cookies, or in a bread basket, too, if a bit larger than they probably are!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh wow! Your coasters are absolutely beautiful and would definitely dress up any table; but they are so pretty, I would be afraid to use them. Have a great week. Tammy

janice15 said...

I love coming to visit, you do such lovely things...I love coasters and use them on my Coffee table, mostly glass one and ceramic..this are lovely...dishes well I'm a old gal kind of dish woman....lol I love so many different dishes fifties, older depression glass dishes..and I collected what Mom says are the dishes they used to give out at the movie theaters etc...I love jadeite as well. have a lovely day. with love Janice