I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, June 10, 2012

A little bit added to what you've already got, gives you a little bit more.........

P.G.Wodehouse

I think on this quote a lot as I work my stitches into my designs. While standard embroidery is charming on it's own, adding just a few more stitches...........
 is like having a garden full of beautiful flowers...................and then..........
a butterfly lightly glides in to rest on one.

It can make all of the difference in the world.
There are some designs that I chose to simply hand embroider with the standard outline stitch................
and then there are some designs that just beg me to bring them to life..............
with just  a little bit added.
How about you?
Do you find yourself changing a design or
adding a little bit to it?
I would love to hear!

15 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I think this is one of the most gorgeous pieces I have ever seen. It's beautiful.
xx, Carol

Laura Venosa Verbena said...

Thank you for your visit. You blog is lovely. xo Laura

GardenOfDaisies said...

This is a very striking butterfly piece. You always do such beautiful work!

Bev said...

What a wonderful picture!! and then to add it to you project!! You are amazing!!

Karen said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I love the pink and black butterfly! Yes, I do tend to embellish an embroidery pattern or leave out parts that I don't like. It's fun to be creative, isn't it?

twinpeakprimitives said...

I love and admire your designs. They are so sophisticated, so elegant as well as the butterfly.It looks gorgeous.

I do like to create my own pattern! It is rare to deal with the others's pattern.

Cindy said...

What a beautiful butterfly! I love doing shading, but sometimes I like to do a simple outline. I guess I like all of it!

Anonymous said...

Good day, Kathleen...First I must say that I don't know how the rest of you get such lovely photos of butterflies. The butterflies I see never seem to stay long enough in one place for such a treat. And what a perfect photo...a beautiful yellow color butterfly landing on its complimentary purplish flower.

Your embroidery certainly did bring the butterfly to life. It is the focal point and a beauty! I do know what you mean about adding a bit more to enhance when creating. However, you never seem to overdo it, but always seem to have just the right amount of stitches and color for your projects.

Many years ago, as a painter, I learned an important lesson about when to stop. Then one day I heard a cute joke about it..."How many artists does it take to paint a painting?...Two. One to paint the picture and the other to take the paintbrush away." COL...

I always look forward to your posts. They're always inspiring in word and vision.

Blessings for a lovely day,
Marianne xox

lil red hen said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Now and then I might change a quilt design a bit.

papel1 said...

I do have to get more adventuresome with my stitching. I am thinking of using the chain stitch more often. Hope you have a great summer.
Judy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your embroidery work is amazing. You have an eye for detail. My creative juices are running on empty at the moment. :/ Hope your week is great. Tammy

janice15 said...

I'm always in awe, with all your work...just pleasures me to visit you...Happy Weekend with love Janice

A Colorful World said...

Lovely, Kathleen!

Flora said...

Wow! What a lovely butterfly! Nice work.

Mahalakshmi said...

This is very beautiful!Very perfect stitching and the butterfly looks cute.