I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's not a Van Gogh........or a Monet.............

since I "paint" with thread instead of oils..............
however, I think my interpretation does well.....
for the embroidery world
It is stitched in vibrant color and in different stitches to give it a lot of texture.
(for a better view, click onto photo)


It has not been hard to find inspiration for my embroidery these past few weeks.

The sunflowers growing along the grounds have captivated me each time I walk the gardens.

There are the  fall harvest type that I have strategically planted in large crates,
 here and there...........


and the wild prairie style that are growing anywhere they choose.

I also love to embroider leaves............
do you?

While out on a drive..........a field of large beautiful sunflowers begged me to stop and visit..........
I used to wonder why artists were inspired to paint sunflowers..........
now I understand..................
actually, I am now inspired to plant sunflowers on my acreage.

My interpretation.................
Yesteryear Embroideries style................
I am thinking about framing this piece in a group setting with the sunflower photos from my farm.........
what do you think?
How about you?
What flower inspires you the most?
Do you want to paint it, applique it, or embroider it?
I would love to hear!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen...superb! You have really captured the essence of the sunflower, and it works for any world.

I've been wanting to paint clouds in blue skies with roses are something pretty pink.

I've not done much recently on the computer as we had company, and lots of cleaning had to be done. The company is gone now. I am deciding what to do with a childrens' story series. So many projects to work on...col...

Thank you for stopping by to say "hello"...sweet embroidering, my friend.

Marianne xox

Hill Top Post said...

The colors and texture in your "painted with thread" sunflower is gorgeous...would look wonderful framed!

twinpeakprimitives said...

Your skill on embroidery is certainly encouraging any ambitious person who wants to find an individual way within the stitching.

I liked the sunflower as much as your previous patterns! It is so unique and beautifully stitched!

Congratulations!

lil red hen said...

Love it!! And that field of sunflowers ~ oh my! Wouldn't that be a wonderful crop to grow! I appliqued some sunflowers once on a quilted wall hanging.

Thanks for stopping by and asking about me; I'm o.k., just a little blue from the drought.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

This is beautiful just like all your other pieces. You're lucky to have so much inspiration to inspire you. Very nice!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yes! I love the idea of framing a photograph with your gorgeous embroidery. The sunflowers are so beautiful and cheerful -- especially a whole field of them. The sunflowers that were growing in different spots in my area have long dried up due to the heat. Sure wish those wild ones would find their way over here. Your stitching is always so pretty to see. Sure wish I had that sort of creativity ... to see something and thus create. :) Have a great day. Tammy

Zova couture said...

well done my dear friend!!sunflower is looking so beautiful!I always love to paint sunflowers..embroidery takes too much time to complete..but ur post is very inspiring..not only embroidery but also for gardening..

janice15 said...

Maybe not in your eyes but just the same it's beautiful...One of my favorite flowers...One day I will get around to drawing me some things..and doing some Embroidery..very pretty and colorful..Happy Wednesday with love Janice

Karen said...

You stitched that sunflower beautifully, it looks very real! The flower that inspires me the most is probably the morning glory, I love it in all its forms, even the little bindweed.

letslearnembroidery said...

Your 'painting' is so perfect.Well done!

A Colorful World said...

Another amazing design! Your flower looks VERY much like the wonderful sunflower in your yard! I am very impressed! Haven't gotten back to any hand work...been a little overwhelmed with gardening, canning, and now I'm starting to sew with my new machine. I can't believe summer is almost over!!! Email me and tell me if it would be possible for us to meet some time next year if I get a chance to see my dearest friend in TX who lives between Houston and Austin. I think you may be too far. I know how big Texas is!!! I would just love to meet you some time!

Gina E. said...

I have always loved sunflowers! They are so aptly named! Tried to grow them once, but failed dismally. I thought it would be so easy here in sunny Australia - ha! Your embroidered interpretations are gorgeous!