I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Friday, September 28, 2012

The phraze "the bucket list"

has gotten to be a favorite thing to talk about among many people..........
the things we want to do............the dreams we want to make come true..........
the goals we want to accomplish................
before we "hit the bucket"
 
I, however, have just a different outlook on the things I want to do, the dreams I want to make into a reality, and the goals I want to reach..................not in an urgent manner before I die............
 
but things I want to do and accomplish by the time I reach 100.
Yes, I plan to live to be 100..............
I already decided on it.......
I have so  many things  I want to try............and so many dreams and ideas..........
that I won't get finished with them all until my 100th birthday rolls around!
 
I always wanted to marry the most wonderful man in the world..............
check............did that
(that is why it is hard to find him out in the world, he's with me)
I wanted to become a mother and be blessed with sweet babies............
check...........did that
(the sweetest time in my life!)
I wanted many friends..............
check......did that
( I have been so blessed)
I wanted to write a book.............
check.........did that.............
(it's not published yet.........but it's a book!!)
I want to learn as many things as I can..........
check..........did that
(still doing that)
 
And there is so much more...........
my latest thing I want to be able to learn?.............
knitting!!
On my shelf is a small group of knitting books...........some very old, some very new that I have picked up along the way.
In my sewing box is an array of different sized knitting needles that has been given to me as "cast offs and unwanteds.
I have glanced at them through out the years..........always grabbing my embroidery floss and needles..........or my crochet hooks and charts..............walking past them..........
always thinking.........someday, I will make myself learn.............
This past week...........that's exactly what I have been doing.
I have settled on one book, which is very good in detail and instructions to stitch and pattern. I am going very slow and working through each step and lesson.
My goal.............before I reach the ripe old age of 100?
I want to knit a sweater!
Even if it is only one sweater..........with a lopsided neck and one sleeve longer than the other............
I am determined to knit one!
So...............
how about you?
Do you think about a bucket list.............or something accomplished before you reach a certain age?
What is your wildest thing you would love to do?...........the sky's the limit..........
I would love to hear!

                                Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
 James Dean


11 comments:

papel1 said...

I had never heard of a "bucket list" until I was involved with a live chat with the KOA group (Kampgrounds of America) We had to make a bucket list of where we wanted to camp and what would we take with us. It was fun.
Judy

Nicola said...

A beautiful thought provoking post.

I have very few things on my bucket list, Mostly they are craft related and are skills that I want to master.

To date my life has been blessed and I thank God .

Tammy said...

I don't have a bucket list. It's very hard for me to plan for the next day much less plan for what I want to do before I'm 100 years old. :) I do know that knitting would not be on the list ... I tried it several years ago and just could not get the hang of it. Good luck with your sweater. I'm sure whatever you put your mind to, you can do. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

lil red hen said...

You've given us a lot to think about here. Remember, I asked if I am too old to learn to knit; still haven't started because there are so many projects I'm trying to finish.

I guess I'd like to publish a successful book before my time is over.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nope, no bucket list for me. I do want to go on a hot air balloon ride. I haven't been able to locate anyone in my immediate area that gives them, but I'll find someone. I want to go to the Dakotas. I want to see the Crazy Horse monument. I want to see live Bison on the range. Easy...as soon as we no longer work we are going. I want to live as long as I am able not to be dependant on anyone. I want to live long enough to enjoy retirement with Terry. It will all happen...for sure.

I'd like to know what knitting book you are using? I taught myself to knit and purl when I was a teen but that's as far as I got. I crochet but I love the look of knitted lace.

Preeti said...

All the best for your knitting !:) And for your other wishes in life too ! Learning something gives you a motivation to look forward positively towards life.

I am 36 now, and I cannot dream of 100 since my family's average runs from 65-72. There are no medical issues with anyone, not even a simple BP fluctuations; sudden cardiac arrest runs in our family and it is hereditary ! I lost my dad last year at 66, he was the fittest among us, still not able to cope with it:(

Sorry Kathleen, but you initiated a touchy topic. My only wish is to see my daughter happily settled in life before I close my eyes and yes, to let my husband also enjoy some of his hobbies, he is always busy with office while I steal time from my work for my hobbies:)

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I came across your blog on Etsy Cottage Style and have been oohing and aahing over your embroidery work! You are blessed to be so talented. Beautiful work. I recently bought several lots of vintgae linens (my weakness!), which had several pieces that had never been finished and some lovely pieces that are blank but would be lovely with some type of embroidery work. I've been debating what to do and wonder if it would even be worth my time to do needlework and sell the pieces. You are inspiring me though.

Sandra said...

I love your post that I read today. I am happy for you that you feel you have been so blessed. I too have hopes and wishes that I will continue to learn new things; make something special! Best of luck with your knitting. I am sure you will reach your goal and have a wonderful sweater to wear!

GardenOfDaisies said...

I have never thought of it as a bucket list, but I supposed I have a few dreams... like travel to Europe and eventually have some grandchildren. The first one I have control over, the second one I do not. So who knows.
Your knitting looks great! I know you'll get your sweater made!

mcknnyka said...

Hi friend, not sure if you remember me! I have been in hiding for a while! :-) So interesting that today I choose to check in on your blog. I actually came here because there is something on my bucket list...embroidery!!! I started with knitting, then went to crocheting and now embroidery! And you are going to knitting. Interesting how our lives intersect! hope you are doing well. I will catch up on your blog!!!

A Colorful World said...

You remind me so much of myself! I always planned to learn to spin and weave, to do lots of embroidery and crochet...I'd love to travel more. But, most of my dreams have come true also...I have a wonderful husband, a wonderful daughter, and amazing grandson who all have my heart! I have traveled some and have experienced so many joys in my life, and I write and paint and quilt. God has truly been good!