I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, March 18, 2013

It's not just the embroidery

that catches my attention when I am searching out vintage linens..............

I love the  intricate crocheted edges that can be found on dresser scarves and pillowcases. The quality and beauty that was worked into finishing embroidered pieces just amazes me. The pillowcase above has no embroidery............

just an elaborate and beautiful crocheted insert. There was only one pillowcase, but it will serve wonderfully for a guest............don't you think?

As many of you know, I have my own style of embroidery, where I add quite a few stitches.
However, this set of pillowcases, makes me want to go back to my roots of hand embroidery

and return to the simple technique. Sometimes, less, speaks so much more beauty in pieces like this.

There is a beautiful crocheted edge on this set as well.

I was thrilled when I discovered this dresser scarf, underneath a large pile of tablecloths.

The embroidery is worked in basic stitching............but it just seems to come to life

I love the way the embroiderer stitched the fence, don't you?

The colors she chose are wonderful. Now I am inspired to do one simple piece...............
how about you?
Do you find that sometimes in your creative work............the simple designs, speak the loudest?
I would love to hear!

14 comments:

Zova couture said...

beautiful pieces..I am getting inspiration..to start new one..

twinpeakprimitives said...

Everything is just beautiful!
It is so nice seeing your wonderful creation again!

All the best!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

beautiful finds! I search, but hardly every find any vintage pieces. This is such a tourist/antique shop area that those pieces always end up in the shops with out of my budget prices.

You have a lovely collection. Reminds me of the embroidery that seemed to be on all of our pillow cases and dresser scarves when I was growing up...O, all lace dresser scarves were big in our house too!

Have a great day.
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

These are lovely : )

Nancy said...

I agree with everything you have said! The simple vintage embroidery is so very charming. I love the crocheted edges too, and even if a vintage item is torn or stained, I buy it for the edging.

peggy said...

Those are just beautiful. I always look for embroidery at the craft and antique mall. It is sometimes pricey but worth even more than they ask.

Amy said...

You inspire me,even though I cant stitch like you can.I am just learning how to do some of the stitches.
Embroidery is so special.I love the Southern Bells like on your dresser piece.

lil red hen said...

Ha, ha! I think simple speaks loudest to me since that's all I can do. I'm still working on the stained runner; winter work was just too much this year.

I love the little embroidered lady! I have one old pillowcase where the skirt of the lady is crocheted and the rest embroidered. Wish I had the pattern.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I always do simple -- just don't have the patience for more than that. And I lose focus when a project takes days and weeks. I really like the simplicity of the simple stitches and one color as in the pink hearts. I have some pillowcases that one of my best friend's grandmother made -- she quilted and did handicrafts well into her 90's even though she lost most of her sight. Your embroidery work is so very beautiful but sometimes a simple little project is just what you need. Your simple of course would still be totally awesome. Best wishes, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I agree wholeheartedly that the simple designs are so pretty. Maybe because that would be my speed...simple ;) Some pieces need that extra touch though, with more stitches, fuller designs, and some do the job with simplistic loveliness.

Where do you find these beauties?! I agree, the crocheted edged pillowcase will make a guest quite welcomed with sweet dreams. And the table scarf is...ooooo...such a favorite for me. I can imagine it in a sunny room with a cool breeze gently blowing the curtains in the window. Thank you for sharing these.

I'm going back to take another peek.

Hugs, Marianne xo

Cindy said...

Such beautiful pieces! Isn't it amazing the work that was put into such utilitarian item?

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh, I agree. The crocheted edges really help turn the embroidered pieces into true beauties.

janice15 said...

Very nice pieces. I love the lady she is just wonderful. The crossstitch is very nice. I was just saying that the other day I'm cleaning out my linen closet and have found some cross stitched peices as well..that's the first stitches I learned in school..very nice post Happy Easter weekend with Love Janice

Suzan said...

Both my Grandmoms would embroidery and crochet the ends. I'm still using dish towels and pillow cases and doilies all over my house with their flowers and birds and butterflies!! Love them. Your pieces are lovely!!