I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The color combination of black and white

caught my attention these past few days.
As most of you know, from reading my farm blog.............I love chickens.
This design was actually meant for cross stitch and done in red and white in a magazine,
however, I decided I would use black and white. But I just had to stitch the comb in red.
He's a handsome fellow..........don't you think?

The hen is just as precious. I have found many good rooster designs in both cross stitch and regular embroidery............but it is very hard to find ones with hens.

They make a pretty pair in black and white.

So with the black and white color  still floating around in my head.............
I turned my attention to the front porch. This is a wonderful spot to sit and to watch the snow or the rain falling. It is also wonderful to sit out in the late afternoon and to listen to the coo of the doves and the late night serenade of the coyote across the prairie.  As you can see, the furniture has gotten quite weathered.

I have had this rocking chair for a long time. It has spent many hours rocking three babies to sleep and in the later years being rocked to  a bed time story with one or two toddlers in my lap.

So I took a paint brush with the color combination of black and white and gave it a new look.

The old porch swing was here years before we moved in  and it was just as weathered looking when we first saw it. Now it too, has a new look with black and white.

The chairs are not the focus I want you to see in this photo. Look to your right and you will see a small square table sitting beside them. This is a portion of a trailer load of furniture I bought at a yard sale ........with the intention of re-working and re-doing them. The table was actually in great condition with a good surface on it.............

but with a little splash of black and white........it serves as a great porch table.

So it all came together in a pretty way and the porch is even more inviting.
Don't you think?

The chair and table look great together ................but I have always loved to play checkers on the porch...............

so I hand painted a colorful and whimsical checker board onto the table. When I first saw the table for sale out in that yard, I already knew that I would make a checker board on top of it for the porch. I just did not know in which colors at that time. I painted dot flowers on the end corners of each checker space and in the corners of the board.

Now it's ready for a good game and some lemonade............
come visit me!

I need to sew up some pillows and cushions to make it a little more comfortable.
How about you?
Do you like to decorate your porch?
Do you like to sit out in the morning?............or do you like the evening better?
What are your favorite color combinations?
I would love to hear!
** Don't forget.............I have a cooking blog..........
just click onto link............
and I have just added a wonderful, hearty soup recipe!
 

14 comments:

Kristen King said...

Where did you find that rooster pattern? I would love to make one too!!!

lil red hen said...

I really like these painted pieces and the linens too! I have a small stool with plans to paint the legs and put a stained circular top on it for the sewing room. The legs will be painted black or red I think. You're quite the artist!

Laurie said...

I love your rooster and chicken patterns, and the black and white looks really good. Your porch furniture makes a huge difference, I really like the black and white theme, and your checkerboard is perfect! I have a three season porch that right now isn't usable, but would love to get it back to what it could be. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I'm always amazed! You are so very creative. First your rooster and hen patterns are so pretty, and you really did them justice in the black and white, with a splash of red.

And of course your porch re-do is wonderful. I love that you painted the checkers board on the table - brilliant. I think I will sit a spell - thank you, kindly.

Blessings,

Marianne xo

Hill Top Post said...

Your porch makeover is wonderful, and the checker board table is the crowning touch. And, thanks for the invite!

Shami Immanuel said...

black and white stitching is beautiful. makeover of porch is really good.

Preeti said...

Wow! You have done a great job making the front porch so lovely!! I liked that idea of painting checkers on the table!:)
I live in a flat and have a balcony. Independent house in a metro city is too pricey in India and we do not like staying faraway and driving long hours to work.
Your embroidery too looks very nice ! It will add more decorative element to the porch.

Cindy said...

Everything looks great with your black and white redo. Your porch is wonderful!

Gina E. said...

Your rooster and hen stitcheries are gorgeous! I have dozens of embroidery patterns for chooks of all sizes, including cross stitch, but I've only done one so far. So many projects, so little time!

janice15 said...

O my well the rooster and hen were great enough but you went over the top with the black and white furniture.. I just love it.. I can see some big sunflowers and your rooster and hen on some pillows .. I really like it a lot.. you did a great joy.. can't wait to see more.. Have a great Thursday with love Janice

letslearnembroidery said...

I love black and white - I've more than one black and white dresses.For someone who lives on a farm I love chickens.The patterns are beautiful.I love to sit at the back of my house which faces a paddy field.There, I can see humans, animals and nature, all living in harmony.My favourite moment is when it rains - the world looks so deserted as though we're in the land before time - dinosaur ages?.

A Colorful World said...

You have just been BUSY lately, haven't you!? My, what a wonderful make-over of these pieces! They look great on the porch. You are always so creative. It's fun to see what you have been up to. I have LOTS to do around here to get things to way I want them...maybe if I keep plugging away I will eventually "get there.":-)

Joanne said...

Your paint brush is as amazing as your embroidery needle. All of it is gorgeous and very inspiring to me personally. joanne

Sharon said...

I love the black and white furniture and the checker board. I'd love to join you on your porch, Kathleen.