I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, July 15, 2013

When our two sons were very small, they shared the same room.

To help on space issues, we found this blue and white, 9 drawer dresser, that both could use for their clothing. The years flew by, the boys grew to their own rooms.  By that time, the dresser had suffered a lot of knicks, scratches and stains and then remained unused for many years. I decided that this would be perfect for my embroidery studio...............
minus the blue and white paint.

This past week, I removed the paint and sanded.............
 

and chose the perfect colors. Now I love this dresser!
I love the color depression era green and I wanted a darker color for the top.

A while back I had found these vintage embroidered doilies and purchased them with the dresser in mind.
I love the intricate design of the embroidery and the crochet. Each doily was perfect to drape over each of the top drawers.
 

My idea for them worked perfectly...........
don't you think?
 

I also lined each drawer with paper and added things here and there.

I think this is my favorite...........

I think roses are the perfect design for any thing!

It did  not take me long to fill each drawer with the supplies and products of my studio.
 

Here is one wall of my studio. The dresser just makes the room look nostalgic..........I think.
The top also serves as a great place to cut fabric.

I also have the  area set up where I can easily move from one work station to another.
On the right hand side is the sofa bed where friends have a place to rest when they come to see me.

My sweet husband created for me a table where I can work my stitching on when I am using a frame. He simply cut a square out of the table where I can easily stitch underneath the frame, while the frame stays securely in place on top.
Now I can hopefully get some UFOs finished and create some new designs .............for that book that I am still hoping to get published.
How about you?
I found choosing the color for the dresser the hardest part when re-doing.
What are your favorite colors in dressers or other furniture?
Do you like just a wood stain...............or do you like bright or bold colors?
I would love to hear!

14 comments:

lil red hen said...

WOW!! What a wonderful studio! You did wonders with the dresser and it certainly gives you a lot of storage for your beautiful work.

I had wondered if you use a frame when doing embroidery work.

For the most part I have stained furniture, but wish I was brave enough to paint.

Cindy said...

The dresser turned out great! I love that shade of green. It looks very nice in your craft room.
Have a great day! Cindy

Betty Lou said...

Beautiful, the dresser doesn't look like the same one. Good job.

Preeti said...

Your dresser makeover is perfect!! I liked the way how you arranged the inside of the drawers too, very neat and pretty:)
I love bright colors not bold, mostly in shades of purple, yellows and blues but again depends on the colors of other surrounding things. You have done quite a lot of hardwork.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your dresser re-do turned out really nice. Your husband came up with the perfect solution for your embroidery table... just cut a hole.. LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, you did wonders with the dresser. It's perfect for your studio, and I love the way you draped the doilies..they're so pretty. Ooo, the paper liners are so pretty, too. Artsy people can never have too much storage space, don't you agree?

I am in agreement with you that your book SHALL be published. I recently looked up the word 'shall' and it's origin means destined to, intended to. Though it's meant to be used in the first person, I'm using it here now.

Enjoy a wonderful day,

Marianne xo

Karen said...

Kathleen, you did a fabulous job on the dresser, it's beautiful! I love those doilies so much and they look fantastic with the dresser!

Hill Top Post said...

The old dresser is just what your studio needed...perfect color and wow for the paper liners. I can imagine friends love to visit you here...I certainly did!

letslearnembroidery said...

Your studio looks great!Wish I had one.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Love what you have done with this dresser !
The doilies are the perfect touch. ;)
Rose

Lady Linda said...

I really like what you did with your dresser! Love the color and lining the drawers. I am just about done with my studio and I am soooo thrilled to have a place to work. I think it will be so fun and encouraging to get some UFO's done...we all have them!
Thanks for sharing.
Linda

janice15 said...

You did a wonderful job of changing it.. It looks fabulous.. I finally started a Embroidery project.. I like the old green paint to.. Happy Saturday with love Janice..

A Colorful World said...

Oh I LOVE this refurbished dresser too! And I LOVE the table with the cutout. How perfect. (And what a sweet hubby!)

Gina E. said...

I don't know how I missed this post! Ditto to all the previous comments re your studio and outdoor furniture - I don't know where you find the time! Oh I LOVE your hens; you are so right about being able to find embroidery patterns for roosters, but not as many for hens. Where can I find a copy of this one?