I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Friday, January 3, 2014

Out with the

NEW, and in with the OLD,, this  is my resolution this year.
Because my goal is to have my vintage shop complete and open in 6 months.
I have already stared to work..........doing just a bit every day.
In a corner of my bedroom, boxes filled with an overflow of dishes and glassware lie in wait.

A pile of vintage linens also wait to be pressed and displayed.

I have several sets of pretty dishes,


a truck load full of depression era glassware,
 

and  vintage linens with such beautiful stitch work,

that it is very hard for me to actually let some of these go.............

but that is the whole process of having a vintage shop.............
right?
I will also be selling my own hand embroidered linens.

There will be a collection of vintage cookbooks........
filled with wonderful recipes that we all have grown up to love,

and I am also going to sell my cement creations outside.
Some of you have already requested purchasing some items from me.............and since you all pretty much live far away from me,
I am going  to also show you the items I have for sale.......... here and on my Etsy online shop,
which will allow you to purchase them on line if you would like to do so.

I will probably do this.............way before I have my actual shop open...........
because I have much work to do. I am going to replace broken windows...........
all by myself.............I hope.
I have watched several videos on this............plus I also have the back up help of my husband, if I have a problem.
This is my baby............so I want to do all of the work by myself.

Trying to decide on shop colors has been the hardest thing for me to do. I find this ironic, since I am an embroidery artist and picking colors for a project comes so easily.
But I love the nostalgic look that rust/red and rust/ creams have along with a sage green.  So I think I will paint the shop and it's furnishings in these colors.
What do you think??

Another problem I have to solve is what to do with Zelda...........
my hermit, shop loving cat, that has lived in this space for over  10 years. She has never gotten along with other cats, and gets frantic when I place her inside of our home. She is very loving, but insists on staying in her solitude.
A cat in a vintage glassware shop just will not be a happy match.
So I am going to try to see if she will stay in my embroidery studio.............
I really wanted that space to be "pet free", but I think it will be a good resolution, better than having
a mosaic shop with broken dishware in the end.
So tell me, what are your resolutions this new year?
Are you going to start to a new career?.............or maybe you are starting a business of your own?
Do you have plans to learn a new technique or craft?
I would love to hear!

8 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

It sounds like you have a good plan. I hope you will find a way to let Zelda stay in the shop. I've been in lots of antique and vintage shops with a resident cat.

lil red hen said...

I'm so happy for you! A dream come true for you! And a wonderful place to find beautiful things.

Perhaps you could put the glass items behind doors with glass panels, then Zelda wouldn't be tempted.

Three Sheep Studio said...

I always visit your "other" blog, and don't often stop here ;)
Glad I did...your banner is lovely and it looks like you have so much going on and to look forward to...
very exciting !
Rose

Preeti said...

Happy new year to you!! Wish you all the best for your new shop and may your dreams come true:)
Can't wait to see your shop's virtual tour.

KathyB. said...

You have a good amount of work to do but it seems like happy work...so can it really be called "work " ? I think the color choices you've kind of settled on are perfect for a vintage shop.

Yes, I have plans for my small Etsy shop and big plans for a booth in a local farmer's market. Like you, I need time to organize, plan, and create ! I think your business will be a success because of your hard work and especially because of your creativity. Happy New Year !

Diana said...

Would love to visit your shop once it's open, may have to plan a trip :)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathleen, Happy New Year and all the best with the opening of your shop. I know it will be wonderful. You have some really great treasures to showcase.
Many Blessings in 2014 and much success!
Hugs

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Kathleen!
Wow, Wish I lived closer..can't wait to see the shop...best of luck. Oh, and the owl stamped work..it is going to beautiful when your done with it.