I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I have given 4 very old chairs a new life.............

I have had these chairs for around 30 years. They were given to my husband and I when we were first starting to make our home. There is also an octagon table in storage that goes with them.
I did not want to use the table, but I love the chairs. They were black with gold velvet seating and backing, which I removed, and then added paint..........
When we moved to our country home, we had a dining room set...........so these chairs have been put aside.
I decided to put some life back into them...............

I got very brave and painted each one in a vibrant color..........
what do you think??............
There is a reason I painted each a different color............

I also had cross stitched these 4 pieces a  little while back. They depict the different seasons with items on a clothesline. I have always loved this design set.

So I fixed each cross stitched piece to the back of each chair..........with coordinating fabric.... 

fall...........



winter............

spring...........

summer.........

And I am going to sell them in my vintage shop. 
Don't they look cute around the table?
I am hoping someone out there loves them and will want to take them home.
How about you?
Would you dare paint something bright and wild , when it really should be neutral for what it is made for?
Have you painted a room..........or even a chair this way??
I would love to hear!

14 comments:

papel1 said...

I love the colors, the cross stitch designs look so good attached to the backs. I hope they sell. As for favorite colors to paint, well I hate painting furniture!!! But I am trying to quilt more colorful blocks.
Judy

Hindustanka said...

Beautiful and cheerful! I suppose someone would like to have these in their dining room or verandah :) You've done a great job!

lil red hen said...

Now my mouth just dropped open when I saw these gorgeous chairs! I have some old dining chairs and wanted one painted red for the sewing room. I don't particularly like to paint; well, the painting wouldn't be so bad, it's the prep work I don't like. You are sooo creative and unafraid to try things. Someone is going to go home with a wonderful purchase!

Cindy said...

I love the needlework to go with the chairs. Very creative!

Karen said...

Very beautiful chairs! You are so creative and artistic!

Lady Jane said...

What wonderful happy looking chairs. Great job....

Sandra said...

So bright and colorful. Just like flowers in Spring! They really add a burst of color to your shop.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, the chairs are a delight!! Love the cross stitch with them, and they do look splendid around the table. I'm sure they'll sell quickly.

Blessings for your success,
Marianne xo

ladycobblestones said...

They are beautiful. And they would go perfect in my kitchen. The only problem is my wallet is way to empty. I'm afraid I have to add them to that list of things I am going to buy 'when" I win the lottery. Sigh. I love to put bright primary colors in my home. And the cross stitch adds just the perfect touch.
Smiles to you.
Linda

Sally said...

I was actually startled at first when the chairs popped up in those colors; they're very nice and you did a wonderful job.

Liking bright colors myself scattered around i.e. pillows etc. I've never actually painted anything like you've done, but I remember when I was a young teenager; I was going on a trip to visit my grandmother and Dad said he was going to paint my room while I was gone. He asked "what color would you like?" I told him 'watermelon and lime'. When I got home, I couldn't believe he'd actually done that. Three walls watermelon and one, lime. It's funny how when we visit someone new in blog land that memories surface like it did here, with your post.

Thank you for help me remember. :)

A Colorful World said...

Just wonderful!!!! I love what you did with them. Now they are beautiful and looking for a home where someone can truly appreciate all your loving care to make them just the way they are. I hope your shop is doing well. So perfect for your special kind of creativity!

Debra said...

Wow! They look so great with your needle work. I just love your shop.....

Gina E. said...

Kathleen, I just loved the chairs as they appeared on my screen, but when I saw what you had done inserting the cross stitch pieces in the backs, I was blown away! Absolutely gorgeous - if only we lived closer (at least in the same country) I would be sorely tempted to buy them from you :-)

QuiltGranma said...

love your painted chairs, I've been thinking of doing that myself! Love the embroidered linens too. To keep me occupied while visiting boring grandparents years ago I embroidered. keep the kids quiet, you know. Now I know how to pull the threads from the skein, which I didn't then, so I had a scrambled mess in a drawer of embroidery threads.