I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Friday, March 13, 2015

I took out a set of my vintage dish transfers


(I love old transfers like this.........don't you?)

I gathered up some of my prettiest fabric..........

and I used some of my flour sack towels.......combining them with the fabric and then embroidering the vintage transfers to match the fabric/

Much of the time, I usually embroider the dishes in a set the same color

but this time.........I wanted to try something different........

 Letting the fabric make the color choice........
and the set came out with a nostalgic vintage charm to it.........
don't you think so?
I finished the towels with a simple hand crocheted edging

making them look very vintage and sweet.

It seemed to take me forever, but I made 2 sets and placed them in my vintage shop.
 I hope my customers love them!
I am thinking about making myself a set.........or maybe I might take one set from the shop for my kitchen..
How about you?
Do you like dish cloth sets?


15 comments:

Nancy said...

The end result looks beautiful and such a clever idea!

Sandra said...

I love how you used different color fabric and then did the stitching to match. These are a great set of kitchen towels.

Wren said...

You should always make a set for yourself, especially if is something yoou like this much!

Gina E. said...

Every time I visit your blog, I wish I we lived nearer to each other - at least in the same country! Oh, we would have so much to share...I just adore your towels with the vintage dish embroideries, and you have matched them so beautifully with the fabrics! You inspire me to do more with my own stash but when...I don't know where my time goes, and at 67, there's not a lot left at the rate I'm going!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Very pretty. I love flour sack towels, but I never thought to embellish them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sherri Farley said...

Lovely colors in the fabrics. They are adorable & will make the best dishtowels. I recently bought a new retro Sunbonnet Sue transfer & some towels. I need to get on it!

Anonymous said...

So very darling. I wish like Gina that we were a bit closer. I would visit you sweet shop often.
blessings, jill

A Colorful World said...

These are just wonderful! I hope your shop is doing well!

Hill Top Post said...

Your kitchen towels are wonderful and would brighten up any kitchen, old or new.

Unknown said...

Oh how pretty. I really like how you let the fabric dictate the color choice. I still have some of my great grandmothers transfer patterns and embroidery thread and treasure them! I would be tempted to put one set of towels in my home. Decisions, decisions...

Karen said...

I like your patterns, there's not too many things I like better than vintage embroidery patterns! Are the fabrics vintage, too? They are so nice! And they look wonderful the way you have put them together.

I absolutely think you should keep a set of these for yourself, why shouldn't you have something beautiful, too?

Marianne said...

Yes, I do, Kathleen! I have a thing for kitchen towels. I don't know why, but they make me feel good...very nostalgic I guess. I'm hoping to make a purchase from you soon. I still have some birthday money, and I will transfer some to my paypal account. Then I must take a look at your goodies. I like so much of what you do. Hopefully next week, I'll be making the transaction, and can browse your shop.

Blessings, my friend,
Marianne xo

Lady Linda said...

How very sweet! My quilting buddy has gotten back into doing hand embroidery towels. I think they are charming. Your dish patterns are the cutest. We had a discussion about flour sack towels. They are so thin. Do you like using them for your projects?
Linda

letslearnembroidery said...

Very vintage indeed and really, really pretty!

A Colorful World said...

These are just too pretty, Kathleen! Love them! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!