I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Vintage plates have such a rich history..........


This lovely plate comes from Harker Pottery Co. circa 1940s-1950s.
The shape of the ware, called Royal Gadroon, has a raised pie-crust edge. 
Benjamin Harker, Sr. immigrated from England and settled on some land in the Ohio Valley near East Liverpool, Ohio to become a farmer. But the clay in the hills above the farm became a major source of his income. Finally in 1840, he decided that he could make more money by selling finished pottery than the clay and so he built himself a kiln and a small workshop on the river just north of the village. He hired a potter to teach the trade to his sons. And so began the oldest continually run pottery in the United States and the founding of an industry that exists to this day. 
For 131 years Harker Pottery produced everything from dinnerware to bathroom fixtures. After fighting years of flooding on the western bank of the river (left, postcard of Ohio River showing East Liverpool with Harker Pottery), Harker moved across the river to the east bank in Chester, WVa. (right). It shipped dinnerware across the nation. In the 40's and 50's, you could get your Harkerware as premiums at stores and in theaters. 
This is just one of the many lovely plates I have in my vintage shop.
No matter where I might be...........if I see an old plate for sale.........
I have to grab it up to place in my shop.
How about you?
Do you have a favorite plate or china design?
I would love to hear!


10 comments:

lil red hen said...

I loved this, Kathleen, since I have a collection of Homer Laughlin pieces. I used to be the same way about buying pretty platters, sugar and creamer sets, gravy boats, etc., but now I have no more room for things and age has stopped my quests. Do you remember when sets like these were in the Sears, Roebuck and Montgomery Ward catalogs? I'm probably dating myself here, but I remember cutting them out for my paper dolls. :)

mamasmercantile said...

I am a great fan of Royal Albert particularly the Country Roses pattern, I have collected it for the 34 years of marriage and love it.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

This is a beautiful vintage plate and what an interesting history about this company. I love vintage plate, too.
I have some depression glass plates that I like.

Karen said...

I love old dishes like this one, it is beautiful. Thanks for the history lesson it was very interesting!

Bev said...

I love old dishes.... have a few of mom's and some oldies that came in a cabin we bought!!

Debra said...

Very pretty plate, and I loved reading the history too....I have some old plates with roses on them....My Mom has some gorgeous very thin cups-so delicate. I don't know who the maker is-I'll have to look next time I visit her.

Sherri Farley said...

Beautiful plate, I love the pie crust border. Interesting history too. Thanks for sharing! I have a few favorites in my china cabinet.

janice15 said...

Very Pretty Kathleen.. I never knew the name of this.. I had a few pieces from him and didn't know it.. thanks for sharing it ... Happy Weekend with love Janice

Unknown said...

You have a lovely plate and what an interesting history. I really enjoyed it and will have to look to see if I have any in my cabinet.

letslearnembroidery said...

The plate is lovely.I have a penchant for teapots, I don't know why.