I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Friday, March 31, 2017

I have collected vintage glassware for years........

a lot of it, I sell in my vintage shop......
but there are particular things I collect.......and hang on to.
a few weeks back, my husband and I were rummaging through a 
vendor's junk table at a flea market about  100 miles away from our home.
On the table covered in thick dust......filled with old scissors, eye glasses and other
rusty objects, was this beautiful cut lead crystal vase.


I love the design these old pieces have in them!
The vendor only wanted a few dollars for it.....I hugged it in glee
as I had her wrap it up for me.
I bought a few more things.....enough to fill a small box
and away we went back home. When I got home.....I was saddened
to find that the vendor forgot to place my vase in the box. I never
thought about checking before I left.  
With only paying a few dollars for it.......I did not make a fuss about
trying to go back the next day.........100 mile trip....... to see if I could retrieve it.
But I still had it on my mind.  My husband.......who is a wise and caring soul about 
things like this.....suggested we go back and see if they might have held it for me.
So away we went.......another 100 miles. 
We returned......and on the vendor's table was my vase.......cleaned and glimmering in the
day's sun.  Of course she recognized me.....apologizing.......not thinking I would return.
How very lucky I felt to be able to get it!
So I happily carried it away with me..........to home.......another 100 mile trip

So after 400 miles...........and with my rose bushes heavy with blossoms, 

I am enjoying this beautiful vase.....filling it with colorful
inspiration.......and scent

as it sits on my work table, where I can enjoy it as I stitch 
the hours away.  
So........tell me.......
do  you have a favorite vase that you keep your cut flowers in?
Did it once belong to your mother........grandmother?
Did you sweetheart bring you a beautiful bouquet in one?
Do you have a great story for yours?  
I would love to hear!

12 comments:

lil red hen said...

It's beautiful! I have a pretty vase that belonged to my mother, but I know nothing about it. Usually I put my flowers into an old bottle or glass jar.

Your work table is interesting. Tell us more about it.

Hill Top Post said...

What a nice story...one with a happy ending! Those beautiful roses needed that vase, and that vase needed those roses! And, oh-so-lovely on your work table!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love old lead crystal and have a very few old pieces, though no vases. I am so glad you made the trip back to retrieve your vase! Like my husband and I always say, we are retired now, we have plenty of time to do what we want. You have a wonderful new item to treasure.
xx, Carol

Marianne said...

Wow, that was some trip, Kathleen. Your new vase is beautiful and I'm glad you have it gracing your inspiration table. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it show up in one of your lovely embroidered pieces. ;)

Have a lovely weekend, enjoying your vase and flowers!
Marianne xox

Karen said...

A beautiful vase and gorgeous roses! I'm glad you went back for the vase!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you went back for it...you would have always wished you had it! I have a pretty hand blown glass vase that my daughter in law made and I cherish it! Right now I'm using little bud vases and cups for the roses we have blooming. Hugs!

Debra said...

The vase is GORGEOUS! What a sweet hubby you have. I know mine would have done the same thing....My mom has some beautiful old cut glass that she still uses. Your post made me want to hunt down some lovely thing I can use in my studio. They are just so elegant....

Sheryl said...

What a lovely vase which didn´t turn out so cheap after all :-) and a marvellous understanding husband. gorgeous roses.

Unknown said...

When an item catches our attention, its hard to take our mind off of it when we don't have it. You would have longingly thought about that vase and envisioned it on your work table. Now you will have years of enjoyment. All it took was a few hours (and miles) of your time. It's beautiful and so is your work area.

Unknown said...

I just now found your blog. I am an avid needlepointer and am constantly scouring the Net for new floral, especially, rose designs. I came across your blog while searching for a design for a beautiful old chair I bought from a consignment shop. The roses you are needlepointing on your frame in the photo, are they from a book? Thanks, Chris

A Colorful World said...

Your vase was such a lovely find! We are happily ensconced in our new home....still got a lot to do to it to make it truly like we want it. But we are happy to be here. Hope you have a blessed Easter!

Stitches said...

I love your vase, it's beautiful!! And I'm so glad that you went back and retrieved it!
Yes, I have a couple of vases that i love putting flowers in, one especially is a green frosted glass and the top has finger like pieces that all point to the center. I wish I knew more about it.