I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, December 1, 2018

There is just something about a piece of string


that can be pulled, twisted, and tied, with colors so captivating.....
and then, can be turned into something so beautiful.  
I rarely purchase patterns, but when I saw  this 
crocheted granny square cardigan pattern, 

I just had to purchase it!  I love crocheting granny squares, 
using up the bits of leftover yarn from other projects. 
(for those of you who want to know,
it can be found at Maggie's Crochet.com) 

This is not the weight or type of yarn the pattern calls for, 
however, I have so much  left over from making crocheted scarves and throws,
that I wanted to find something else to crochet with it.  
Such beautiful variegated colors with names like "meadow/prairie"
"winery " , "echo" and "parrot". I also love the feel
of the yarn.  
So I am being careful and making sure the granny square measures the 
right size when I finish.  And there are quite a lot  of squares to crochet!
And it may wind up looking pretty primitive and goofy,
so I may not be seen wearing it in town.........
however, my chickens, cat and dog accept my primitive
and goofy look, so I will wear it here on the farm..........
when I finally finish crocheting it. 
December is here, along with it's chilly days........
perfect for staying in, using the imagination, 
and keeping the hands busy creating! 
Don't you think?

I love  Minna Thomas Antrim's thoughts about chilly nights...........
Brew me a cup for a winter’s night.
For the wind howls loud, and the furies fight;
Spice it with love and stir it with care,
And I’ll toast your bright eyes, my sweetheart fair.
Minna Thomas Antrim, "A Night Cap," A Book of Toasts, 1902

So tell me, what are you creating these days?
I would love to hear!



9 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Of my this post brought back memories for me. My gramma B made me coats and vests from granny squares as a teen. Hope you will share yours when finished. Janice

Karen said...

That is pretty yarn and a pretty sweater. I'm sure yours will be just as nice. Hopefully you will be proud to wear it for more than just the chickens!

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, that is a beautiful pattern. Looking forward to seeing your creation using your left overs. The names of the yarns conjure up some amazing images in my mind.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It has always amazed me that you can take yarn...or thread or a flat piece of fabric and transform it into something beautiful and functional. It takes a special person to make it beautiful! I'm doing cross stitch and a sewing project for the holidays. And loving it all! Hugs!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I visited Maggie's site. There are some really good patterns there. I will love to see your finished jacket.
xx, Carol

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm sure whatever yarn you use and colors you put together it will turn out absolutely gorgeous! Looks like a very lovely pattern. And I do love granny squares. I have so many that I really must use them for something, anything really. :) Happy December!

Debra said...

I'm making handmade books. Also monsters. The one at my blog is called 'Iggy.' I LOVE your yarn choices, and I do want to see your finished sweater.

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

hope you finish your handmade.

have a great day

Connie said...

Cold weather is the perfect time for stitching, quilting, crocheting, knitting and embroidering. No gardening chores, no canning, just cozy curling up with needle or hook in hand and an old classic movie on TV. I look forward to the stitching season just as much as I do the Spring planting season. I'm looking forward to seeing your granny square sweater, wear it with pride :)
Thanks for stopping in to visit and for the sweet encouraging words of "Get Well".
I do appreciate them :)
Merry Christmas!
Connie :)