I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, January 14, 2019

A sneak preview of a project........... and a story about an amazing quilt artist

Grace Snyder
My imagination and inspiration to put my embroidery needle aside and to make a quilt block,  came to me when I discovered Grace Snyder,
quietly hiding in a vintage quilt book that I thumbed through to pass time, while sitting outside in the truck,  waiting for my husband as he browsed in a parts store.  
I am not sure about how you feel, but for me, going inside of a parts store holds no intrigue what so ever ......so  I grab any interesting book I  can find at a nearby vintage store, as my save from boredom and impatience,  while my husband happily browses. 
As I casually turned the pages.........this stunning image stopped
me, and I had to read the small article about this quilt........with the creator's name
Grace Snyder,
leaving me to want to find out more about this amazing 
quilt artist.  I researched her and.........oh my.........what an
amazing story she has!  I have included this link to a wonderful
video about her and her quilts.   



The pattern for the lovely quilt was also in the book and easy to follow,
however, I wanted to see if I could make a quilt block a little different.
I  chose a design that  I felt could  be
pretty and enjoyable to work with.
Incorporating the method for this block, with the design I chose,  I
started hand tracing and hand cutting the tiniest of triangles
and hand stitched them all one by one, together. 


I started this "block" October 4, 2018,  which is 
the reason I am showing you a "sneak preview" .....because
of the time it is taking...........who knows when I will completely finish!
Getting the seams to line up, is also tedious and I already realize some things 
that I would have done differently.  In fact, I almost decided to quit and put this away........
however, the colors and the desire to see what it will look like , when finished,
made me press on.  I am keeping a journal on it , as I work from 
day to day.  
I have so much to do throughout the day from cooking, cleaning and such,
that I only get to enjoy stitching on it in the late afternoon..........which
is another reason it is taking so much time to finish. 

Now I am glad that I have kept working on it. 
One thing I realized, as I am working through this block.........
that it is probably going to be a "small quilt" 
instead of a block for a large quilt.  I really don't think I want to make 12 or more of these for a quilt. 
When I actually finish, I will let you know what the
actual size of this will be.  
So tell me.........have you heard of Grace Snyder.......or any other 
wonderful "pioneer" quilt artist?
Do you have a favorite quilt block?
I would love to hear! 



9 comments:

Debra said...

Your work is stunning. I have not heard of Grace, but I'm not much educated about quilt-makers-all the pity for me. It is a true art form, and I'm so glad quilters are getting their due in recognition these days. I do love the African American quilts of Gee's Bend, but there's so many more to love! I love the modern art quilts. The ones that almost follow a pattern, but are a little different. My grandma also quilted, along with all the other handcrafts and housework she did every day. I'm not sure why she didn't show me much about making my own quilt, but she did teach me to sew-and I consider that a huge gift. BTW, I also take a book along when my husband wants to look around in a store!

Sandra said...

I haven't heard of the lady quilter; but the picture of her quilt is amazing. I also think the quilt you are working on is amazing as well. It will be a very special keepsake to enjoy as much as any of your hand stitched embroideries! I look forward to seeing more of this quilt as it grows.

mamasmercantile said...

My goodness what a delight to visit and admire your beautiful creation. A true feast for the eyes. I have never come across this amazing quilt artist but it certainly was a joy to be introduced to her.

lil red hen said...

Wow! I can't imagine making the whole quilt from little triangles! In fact I thought her quilt was made from embroidered blocks, until I saw your block. You've done a fantastic job with such small pieces; I hope to see more of your quilt. I suppose log cabin blocks are my favorite ones to piece and quilt. I don't go many places with the farmer, but if I'm going to have to wait on him I like to take along a crochet project.

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful quilt! I would never be able to make this. Great story of a great quilter too. Janice

Hill Top Post said...

What an amazing story - an amazing woman and an amazing quilt! I also love the work you are doing with tiny triangles. I hope you will keep going!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Such a talented lady. Isn't seeing something stunning the way we are introduced to another art form or needlework technique. Your tiny triangles are a labor of love.
xx, Carol

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I haven't heard of her but my grandmother kept up with all the designs...she had a big stack of books and magazines next to her chair. I loved Grandmother's Flower garden best...an old fashioned design that she made many times. I like Sunbonnet Sue too!

Jean Tuthill said...

Oh my goodness... you are so brave to take on such a tedious project. I am sure you are having fun with it though. I am making a postage stamp quilt, 2 inch squares. It won't be finished for a long, long time. haha Love your block so far! I am always open to explore different craft avenues... sounds like you are too!