I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, November 14, 2010

I have posted about my grandmother's dishes before...............

 I only a few small plates , a sugar bowl (missing the lid), and a couple of very fragile tea cups.
Each piece is so charming! I know about the company who made this china so many years ago........but I always wonder about the artists who first sketched these beautiful flowers for the china's design. Who were they? What was their work day like??
 Through the years I have tried to create the same design for my embroidery..............one is in counted cross stitch....................
 But no matter how much I try..............I can never capture the exact look or beauty.
And of course, sometimes, I just add my own interpretation of what I want something to look like...........as in the leaves. How about you? Do you have a certain piece of china that would look beautiful in stitches?
I would love to hear!

5 comments:

seanymph said...

I actually have two small plates that are done in a cross stitch floral design that I love. To see that printed on a plate is unusual and I had to have them. Perfect for this stitcher.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I think your design is beautiful. I am so amazed when artists and crafters are able to see something then take that vision and turn it into something lovely using their medium of choice. Great work! :) Tammy

A Colorful World said...

What a perfect place for inspiration--a treasure from someone you loved. Something beautiful from the past. I do have some of my own grandmother's dishes...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen so interesting that you took your idea from the China plate! That artist would be so pleased to know their art influenced you these many years later in embroidery!

viji said...

I too love this dear.
viji