I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, May 1, 2014

In all of the years that I have attempted to grow roses,

this is the first year that all bushes have bloomed abundantly.
last year I planted 4 different rose bushes in this larger metal container.

I covered the whole thing in plastic sheeting to wait the winter through and now the roses are blooming in brilliant colors. 

There is a climbing Joseph's coat

that blooms an array of beautiful colors of orange coral, pink, 

and rust.

There is also old fashioned looking blooms........

as well as this delicate and  petally tea rose

This looks like the roses in the story of Alice in Wonderland.....don't you think?

I also have miniature roses like this peach dwarf. There is also a miniature red rose, but it is shy and just now starting to bud. 

The container has worked out much better than planting the bushes in the ground.
How about you?
 Do you grow roses? If so, do you use containers or flower beds?
What is your favorite rose??


Stop by my county blog to see the latest furry and feathery visitors to the grounds!
just click onto this link 

11 comments:

ladycobblestones said...

The roses are WOW. And I love the baby horny toads. I had no idea they were that tiny.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

They are beautiful. It's amazing what you can grow in pots and contained beds. So glad they weathered the winter and are blooming for you now. Best wishes, Tammy

Cindy said...

Very pretty roses! I have a Joseph's Coat too. All of my roses took a hit this winter, but I think most made it.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your roses are really pretty.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of Joseph's Coat. It certainly is a pretty one, love all the different colors.
blessings, jill

KathyB. said...

Years ago I tried to grow miniature roses but never even thought of planting them in a large container, and they did not survive. I think I will try my hand at them again using your idea as inspiration. The roses are beautiful.

Debra said...

Your roses are spectacular-very healthy looking. I couldn't grow roses in containers here-it's too cold. But I have quite a few antique roses and some David Austin roses that do well. I have to admit-if I only could choose one flower to grow-it would be a rose.
PS- I have the rose tea cup and the cup under it just like yours in your top right photo of the cups. I have the whole tea set of the rose pattern-a beautiful tall teapot, and some of the cups are paper thin. Love them!

Babs in Alabama said...

Roses so pretty and so healthy. Never fear...you can grow roses :) We have one bush of the Peace rose and my husband keeps it tended. Many mornings I will find a long stem rose next to my desk :)

lil red hen said...

Oh so pretty! I don't have much luck growing roses. They get black spots on their leaves and then the leaves fall off. Also, deer eat them if they're left uncovered. I guess my favorite flowers to grow are irises and lilies, things that grow from bulbs and bloom before the weather gets hot and dry.

Sandra said...

I love roses. I grew them all over where we use to live. ND is so different and cold; they would take a lot of TLC. Thanks for sharing yours and reminding me how pretty they are!

A Colorful World said...

Your roses are gorgeous! That seemed the perfect solution. I have two miniature roses in pots my daughter gave me when we moved in, and they do very well since I cover them during freezes.

Thanks so much for your concern about the fires. We actually are not close at all, and apparently they are pretty much under control. There was a much worse fire closer to us three years ago when we first moved here. I know other places (like CA) are really having a hard time!

I somehow got really behind with you!!!!