I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, April 11, 2015

All my scattering moments




 are taken up with my needle. 

Ellen Birdseye Wheaton, 1851

I came across this quote a few days ago.............and it made me realize........
how true that is for me.........


There are so many different things thatI have kept my needle busy stitching ..........
from old fashioned charm..........

when  I wanted to experiment with only a little bit of color..........

when I added more to the stitched picture than the design called for......

when I rescued old linens that were only partially and crudely embroidered...........
and re-worked my own embroidery on them

and restored them to a new life.  

When I put my  embroidery aside..........I would spend time making small quilts

and even cross stitched on old screen wire.

I have not counted all of the things I have stitched through the journey of my life........
but I honestly can say that almost every moment of my spare time has had a needle and thread in it.

How about you?? Have you stitched for endless hours while you are watching a movie......or.waiting for an appointment?.......
Have you used yards and yards of yarn, crocheting everything from dishcloths to baby blankets?
Or maybe you have another medium that has filled your scattering moments........
I would love to hear!

11 comments:

KathyB. said...

Love, LOVE the feather ! I have barred ( cuckoo) poultry and am always drawn to them. Your embroidered feather looks like the real thing.

I can't NOT be creating something, but have not concentrated on any one craft or skill except spinning the wool of my sheep into yarn. That brings much pleasure for many reasons.

Such beautiful work Kathleen.

Sandra said...

It is always so much fun to see what you are working on (past and present). You take ordinary and step it up to the next level. I love the added detail stitching you add to all your embroideries. You have a creativeness that just keeps growing. Thanks for sharing with us. I too have spent most of my free time with needle and thread.

Patty H. said...

Your passion shows thru your work. It is beautiful!
I love the quilt!

Unknown said...

Your work is always so detailed and perfectly done. I am always working on some craft project my whole life and when I'm not creating, I'm planning in my head, which is fun also.

lil red hen said...

You have certainly used your time wisely! All your work is so pretty!! I can't seem to find enough time to work on everything I'd like to do and at my age that bothers me a lot! I keep wondering, when will I lay needle and thread aside.

Sherri Farley said...

I enjoy your lovely embroidery projects. Awesome feather & birdie. I love the vintage things too! You are very creative. I'm always doing something with my hands, sometimes I think they are beginning to wear out!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gosh, what a nice post. I think sometime I'd like to try embroidery on screen. Mostly all my life my go to projects have been crochet. But since I retired, I wanted to learn Crazy Quilt and the nuances of seam embellishment. I drool over other's work, but I am finding gratification in the fact that I am developing my own style and have learned that I don't have to add all the frau frau to be happy with my stitching. I think I'll lean toward the conventional embroider as I did when I was young. We'll see.

I love it that you saved vintage pieces and made them you own.
xx, Carol

A Colorful World said...

I always love seeing your beautiful stitchery. You have such a variety of beautiful work that you do. I sometimes will not touch my embroidery for days, and since I need to finish the project I am working on, I can't keep doing that! I'll be excited to finally be able to post it and the other unfinished things I am doing. It will be good to finally finish them! :-)

Happy@Home said...

I'm visiting from Marianne's Leisure Lane blog. I was instantly drawn in by your beautiful header. What a delightful piece that is.
I'll be back to peek around more.
So nice to meet you through sweet Marianne.

letslearnembroidery said...

Embroidery will always be my first love.

Postcard Blogger said...

Your work is stunning!!!!