I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The prettiness of variegated embroidery floss

shows up really well on this shirt that I have just finished embroidering. 

To achieve the look and feel I wanted,  I stitched  with various skeins of variegated floss, cutting the strands at different color and shadings

and working the stitches in the areas I wanted certain colors to be


This is such a light and cheerful transfer and I wanted that feel in the embroidery

I embroidered the shoulder and upper arm, by opening it and  lying it  flat

so that when the shirt is worn, the embroidery will be seen both in the front and back of  the arm and shoulder, 

with one side panel embroidered in the front.  Sweet , simple,.........and pretty.
don't you think?

my next project is this somewhat "vintage" coat........possibly from the 80's but in "like new" condition...........
when I saw it hanging in a thrift store window............in the hot sun.......
It seemed to plead with me..........." I need embellishment"
It needed to be rescued before the sun ruined it.
It is made of wool with a satin lining...........if feels so soft.
Although the red typically makes it a "holiday" coat..........I am not embroidering 
traditional holiday design onto it...........no
I have a whole lovely idea forming for this pretty coat.
I hope to be showing you ...............soon
So tell me............what are you creating??

13 comments:

Shami Immanuel said...

Very cute. The embroidery shows up well in the shirt.

mamasmercantile said...

You are an inspiration, the shirt looks amazing. I am certainly intrigued as to what you are going to do to the coat.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The shirt is so pretty! You captured the spring/summer feel for sure. That coat is a lucky find. Smart decision not to make it a holiday coat. I really can't wait to see what you do with it. I love red!!
xx, Carol

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You have a gift for taking something simple and turning it into something simply beautiful! Your stitching is amazing!

Bev C said...

Hello Kathleen,

Your "garden shirt" is lovely, love how it is blooming, you will get lots of comments when wearing that out. Have fun with the red coat.

Happy days.
Bev.

Debra said...

I love your shirt, and can't wait to see what you do with the coat.

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful, Kathleen! I love using variegated threads very much and I'm just astounded at how many people who love embroidery prefer to use only plain colors! You have done a wonderful job with this!

Gina E. said...

The shirt is so lovely, the recipient will adore it! Wow, the red coat begs to be embellished, I can see why you rescued it!

A Colorful World said...

Such pretty thread, and gorgeous work on the shirt, Kathleen! And I can't wait to see what you do with that coat!

Sandra said...

Wonderful embroidery. Adds so much to the shirt. Look forward to seeing what you might add to your red coat. Happy Stitching.

lil red hen said...

Some lady is going to be very lucky to be wearing this shirt with your stunning embroidery work! I've always loved variegated floss. I know you'll make the coat into something grand!

letslearnembroidery said...

Another wonderful project from you!Wonder how the coat would look like in the end?

Unknown said...

Variegated threat is fun to work with. Your shirt does seem light and airy feel and it's beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with the coat!!!