I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, September 11, 2017

Though care and trouble may be mine,
As down life's path I roam,
I'll heed them not while still I have
A world of love at home.
J.J. Reynolds, "A World of Love at Home,"
 in The New Monthly Belle AssemblĂ©e, October 1844

This embroidery transfer made me think of a dear friend of mine,
who, instead of letting grass grow in her yard,
she kept it all dirt.........and in all of the yard were flowers.
In the early spring through the summer,
there was always something blooming in and around the grounds of
her home.
She passed away several years ago. The other day I drove by 
her old house to see if there might be some lingering flowers.........
but no.  The house was still standing
but the yard was overgrown with weeds.
The flowers seemed to have left........
sensing she was no longer there for them to 
brighten her day.

I often think about trying to get rid of the grass in my 
yard .......to make it all flowers........just as my dear friend had done..........
But no matter how hard I try.......the ground will not 
cooperate.
Where I try to grow flowers..........grass grows,
where I try to grow grass.........wild flowers take over.
I think my friend must have spent hour after hour
with her hoe........getting rid of the grass
to make room for the flowers.
How about you?  Do you have a yard full of green soft grass?..........
or full of blossoming flowers?
I would love to hear!


9 comments:

Sandra said...

We have been in a drought so we have golden, crispy grass. But when it rains again and hopefully that is soon the grass will green up again. The only flowers are the ones I planted in two large flower pots. We have not had a good weather summer.

Your embroidery was very pretty. Loved all the flowers around the house.

mamasmercantile said...

Grass both in the front walled garden and at the back of the house. We are hoping to transform it over the coming years. Your embroidery house with its stunning garden was a joy to see today.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm in Northern Indiana. We have grass except where the danged dogs wear a path running to the back to do whatever they do back there! And when they dig up the dirt to find cool dirt underneath. Or when they spot a bug and think they have to dig to find more. I often wanted a field of wildflowers, but no ambition to do what would have to be done to create it. Terry would never go along with it anyway. Over the years I have kept massive garden areas, but now they have dwindled down due to the WORK to maintain them. Now I just landscape the pond area and a spot in the front yard and I am happy.

Love the embroidery.
xx, Carol

lil red hen said...

My front yard is covered with lush, green centipede grass, and it's creeping into the flower beds. :) Walking on it feels like one is walking on a carpet. We've had lots of good rain this summer which has kept things green and growing.
Your little house in the midst of a flower field is very pretty!

Karen said...

I love your embroidery! I have seen this pattern before and it is one of my favorites! We live in the middle of hayfields so we are always trying to fight against the grass and hay which are forever creeping into the flower beds. By this time of the year I have usually given up and I always say I will do better next year.

Susan said...

Your embroidery reminds me of my grandmother's pieces she did. So nostalgic, XOXO

Sherri Farley said...

The little house is adorable and the story of your friend is so sweet. We have grass and some flowering bushes, some years I put annual flowers in pots near the front steps, but no flower beds. Weeds overtake them and it gets hot in the summer and I am not fond of dragging a hose around. A yard with just flowers sounds lovely!

Gina E. said...

What a charming little embroidery! We have both grass and garden in our yards. The back yard has a lawn area, with a garden border containing daffodils, jonquils and tulips, which have just about finished flowering, and they have been quite spectacular this year. Our chicken house is in the back yard but the hens aren't allowed in the garden because they wreck it by pecking around among the bulbs. So they have their own run which is full of weeds, and they love that!

Marianne said...

Kathleen, what a bitter/sweet post. Your friend sounds like she was remarkable and full of blossom. Remembering her the way you do is such a lovely tribute. I think there is room in my 'yard' for sweet, soft grass, and lots of flowers. I do love the flowers.

I am now just getting a chance to catch up in blogland. We have been out of landline phone, TV, and Internet since the rains in Houston from hurricane Harvey. We now have a temporary internet set-up until AT&T can get the rest of us up and running again. But truthfully, God's promises never fail, and I stood on faith for us during that time. We were protected during the storm and I am most grateful!

Be blessed,

Marianne xo