I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, April 28, 2008

Embellishing

A friend that recently visited, commented on this embroidered bird I have hanging on the wall of our living room. She had said she had seen a bird like this the other day. I get a lot of good ideas for color and detail in watching the birds at our feeder. This is how I came to stitch this piece. We have little birds that look like they are wearing bicycle helmets. They are so cute. Sometimes I will draw a bird to stitch, but I have come to love Aunt Martha's hot iron transfers for the outline shape in the pattern. I have several patterns I have collected over the years, and one of these is the pattern set called "Birds Galore" which has several birds including the Cardinal in it. So I hand trace the outline of the design on to my fabric, and then I use the stitches I love to embellish and add a few things to make the pattern come to life.
This is the bird I chose to look like the one at our feeder
Hours of time, and thousands of stitches. As you can see, I added extra flower clusters, ripples in the wood fence and grass underneath the fence. I have learned that if you right click onto the picture with your mouse, you can see the detailed stitches better.




I actually took my floss outside and laid against on of our trees and flowers to get the true color for this piece. I tried it on the bird, but he would not stay still! {: I think I might do a cardinal next because we have one that has been coming up to eat the past few days. Do any of you have a favorite bird?











9 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Your embroideries are so well done and beautiful! I enlarged the picture and each stitch is just perfect! I love birds and the little bird you did was just wonderful:>)

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Dear Kathleen! My goodness, your embroidery of this piece is beautiful! The bird is so detailed and sweet. One of my favorite birds is the humming bird! Have a wonderful week Kathleen! Hugs, Maryjane

Pam said...

Your work is just so beautiful.
How I admire your talent!
Favorite birds? Right now I'd say the Eastern Bluebird...they are nesting in boxes in my back yard.
I love the little brown wrens, too-so small and perfect.
Blessings,
Pam

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Until I read your post, I did not even know that piece was stitched. It is the most amazing handwork I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous!

So many birds I love. It is hard to choose just one, but right now I love the tufted titmouse. A little family has chosen a tree near the back of our home to nest so we get to enjoy their company every day.

Still in awe of your stitchwork,
Lea

Bee Haven Bev said...

Now, that is one beautiful piece of embroidery! You are quite an accomplished stitcher! BTW I found your blog by way of my good friend Maryjane of the Beehive Cottage! Glad to find you!

Paula said...

That is the most incredible thing I've ever seen, Kathleen. I enlarged it and could not believe the detail. You are truly an Artist!

LindaSue said...

I just showed your bird art to my DH and he agreed with me you are a true artist. Your embroideries are so pretty and I love hearing the "backstory" on your pieces. Thanks for coming by the blog - we can pray for each other - we aren't to worry about tomorrow because it has enough of it's own - but we are promised strength for today. Here's to a strong day Kathleen! Oh my favorite bird around - I would have to say mockingbird for their songs but I actually saw a real blue bird (not a jay) and my heart just leapt.

Linda said...

Kathleen, this piece is wonderful! You are truly and artist. Each piece is so intricate and your stitching is so perfect..you are amazing.
I love so many different litle birdies especially the cardinals. We do not have them in my area and I just think they are so beautiful in all the snow settings. Linda

p.s. What a happy anniversary day you had....I loved all the pictures.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi everyone, and thank you all for being so sweet and commenting. I love hearing about what all of your favorite birds are. Don't you wish we could all get together? What a time we would have! Blessings to you all, Kathleen