I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Life of a Doiley

My life began one winter night,
When skilled hands worked by the warm firelight
with a beautiful color of a ball of twine,
and a strong hook so shiny and fine.
She sat so still and worked the hours away,
Anticipating what I would become someday.

She thought about family,

and said a prayer or two. And she thought
she might just give me away
when she finally got through.

Someone would keep me to decorate their home,
and as the years pass, to the flea market, I'll roam.

I'll sit and wait in a company of junk,
till a soft hand pulls me out of a trunk
Delighted with her treasure,
she will put me on display,
Wondering about the one who made me
and why she gave me away.
My life began as a circle,
And once again to a flea market I'll roam,
till someone finds me once again,
And displays me in their home.








8 comments:

Kathy said...

Beautiful pieces and such wonderful writing to go along with it.

Simply Stork said...

Beautiful...I have just recently found a love for doilies and have been making them for my friends...those pieces are just lovely...all so different. cool

~simply~

http://simplystork.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-birdie.html

Katie said...

What a wonderful post - both the pics and the prose. I have a special place in my heart for such goodies and wonder about the women who made them.

Anonymous said...

just discovered this blog, reading the archives. I love it! Hand needlework is my passion as well, so it's a pleasure to read your posts and see your lovely photos. Happy stitching! Marie

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Did you write that!!! That was great! That's exactly how I picture what happened/happens to the linens I find. There's a story behind each one and I think you really captured it.
Patricia :o)

PS: And of course, I love the doilies!

Paula said...

Wow, Kathleen- your writing always brings a tear to my eye!
How do you do that?!

Linda said...

Kathleen....this is just so pretty, you have a wonderful way with words. I love doilies and your words have captured the essence of these sweet little pieces of work....hugs, Linda

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Thank you all for your sweet words. Yes, I like to write a little now and then. Thank you all for commenting. blessings, Kathleen