I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, January 2, 2016

January brings the snow,

Makes our feet and fingers glow.
Sara Coleridge, "The Months," Pretty Lessons In Verse, For Good Children

A little history on Carnations
The earliest mention of carnations was in connection with the Crusaders, who were stricken with the plague near Tunis in the thirteenth  century. The drank wine mixed with leaves of the pink carnations to help control their raging fevers. 
Carnations were called the flower of flowers in ancient Greece and the genus name means "divine flower" because of it beauty and fragrance. 
An Italian legend tells of a young woman, Margherita , who fell in love with a knight, Orlando. Orlando was called to war and carried with him a white carnation that Margherita gave him. When Orlando was mortally wounded, his blood stained the center of the flower. The flower was returned to heartbroken Margherita, who planted the seeds. Every flower that came from these seeds was white with crimson centers. Margherita never married and it became customary in her family to bring a vase of carnations to each baby girl born into the family.
In the Victorian language of flowers, 
Yellow carnation means disdain and rejection,
Purple carnation signifies antipathy and capriciousness 
Red carnation means admiration 
Pink carnations is associated with happiness 
White carnation is pure and ardent love and a good-luck gift to a woman.

 from the book " Garden Flower Folklore "
by Laura C.Martin

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What an interesting history on carnations, one of my favorites, along with pansies. But I can't choose a color, as I like them all, depending on what my mood is. Happiness to you and yours this new year. May your stitches bring smiles to one and all.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Interesting history and lovely embroidery. I love carnations because they last a really long time in a vase of water. Happy New Year!

mamasmercantile said...

That was such a lovely post, I have certainly learnt a lot today on carnations. I love the wide range of colours they grow. Best wishes for the New Year.

Patty H. said...

interesting history! Hope you have a great new year!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi K. Happy New Year. This is such a lovely piece. This post is why I love blogging so much. The commentary about history and legend is so interesting. Thanks for being a great blog friend.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

Your embroidery is like painting with a needle-it's beautiful. I enjoyed the history of carnations too. I love the way they smell.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love your January carnation. I like the history very much. Carnations are lovely flowers. Your embroidery is splendid.

Celestina Marie said...

Beautiful embroidery work!! Thank you for sharing the story and the meaning of the colors. They do have a beautiful fragrance and I love the way carnations last so long.
Wishing you a wonderful new year filled with blessings. xo

Karen said...

I never knew so much about carnations! I do love them and enjoy their fragrance, too. Your embroidery is beautiful and I always enjoy seeing it!

A Colorful World said...

A very fascinating post. Loved reading about the folklore, and love the embroidery piece!