I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My needle and thimble found it's way back into my fingers

and once again.........I have been lost in stitches.........
letting the hours and days pass by me.........
without a worry
I have had this vintage dresser scarf for years...........from the 1930s-40s.......
waiting to be embroidered.

I love the lily pad and small daisy sprays.........don't you?

I started this weeks ago

now it is finished..........
however.........not many people like to use dresser scarves anymore
especially with lily pads on them........
I thought I might turn it into a towel.........but I have done that with so many linens

so this time..........I embroidered one of my favorite quotes onto the bottom edge
"I cannot count my day complete,
til needle, thread, and fabric meet"

 
I then took a pretty floral print fabric and matched it with the embroidered panel......
and  I then created  pockets made from the embroidery of vintage linens that were damaged in one way or the other
then I sewed the two pieces together........and hand crocheted an edging all the way around
and turned this piece into an embroidery/sewing envelope.

the scalloped end of a vintage doily is prefect for the top of an envelope pocket

that opens and holds floss or other accessories 

I accented the other embroidered pocket with a vintage crocheted trim It is big enough to hold a hoop or other accessories. 

The needle and pins holder is a flap

that opens up for needle and pin storage

There is also a little pocket to hold a thimble

It tri-folds for easy carry and storage  
and now the saying is perfect for a seamstress's envelope.
Now.........what to stitch next???
As many of you know.........there are not a lot of weeks left till Christmas.......
are any of you starting to do your holiday stitching for decorations
or gifts?? 
I would love to hear!

17 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

how clever and pretty too. Years ago I used to love to go to Ben Franklin, Woolworths or Kresge to buy preprinted items to embroider. Did you have any of those "dime" stores near you? I miss them. Today's dollar stores just do not compare.
xx, Carol

Karen said...

That is such a brilliant idea, Kathleen, I can't tell you how much I love it! Your embroidery is beautiful and so are all of the vintage ones. It's wonderful how you put everything together!

mamasmercantile said...

Now that really was an impressive make, it is beautiful. Yes I have made a start on my Christmas makes, I don't like the stress when I am under pressure so start early.

lil red hen said...

Kathleen, you are just SO creative! This is a beautiful way to use damaged linens.
You asked me what I'm working on this summer ~ I've done a lot of paper piecing quilt blocks and currently I'm embroidering the center piece of crazy quilt blocks. We're on a break from chickens presently so I have a chance to do "fun" work.
I'm always thrilled to see a post from you, showing your wonderful work.

Bev said...

Oh my I LOVE that!!! Perfect storage for projects....do you sell those??

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It turned out so beautifully! I love old linens too and have a small collection. I should try to do something with one of them and make something useful that I can enjoy. You are amazing! Hugs, Diane

janice15 said...

Kathleen its just lovely. You always do such wonderful work. Witth love Janice

Sherri Farley said...

Lovely!!

Wren said...

You are always so creative!!

Peonies & Magnolias said...

Gorgeous!!! I love your old linens and the projects you create with them, so beautiful.

Sandy

Debra said...

I love this!!!!

drafter29 said...

That has to be one of the neatest things I've seen in a while. Love it.

Cgirl said...

I have many dresser scarves that are beautifully embroidered but I am afraid of ruining them if I try to convert them into something else. I wish I had your creative talent. You have turned your scarves into truly useful and beautiful items. Maybe I will take a little courage from you and try to do something with one of my scarves. Thank you for always being so positive.
I am glad you are feeling better after the spider bite and I am happy your land is beginning to heal.

Rachel said...

Ingenious and charming - well done!

letslearnembroidery said...

Neat ideas!I envy your embroidery projects.

Gina E. said...

That is just so charming, Kathleen! I have heaps of damaged doilies that I want to do something with, but keep getting sidetracked :-( A friend recently sold me an apron she was given, that she was going to cut up. It was so beautiful I couldn't bear the thought of her doing that, so I bought it from her at a hugely inflated price - she told me she paid $5, and said I could have it for $40! Fool that I am, but how could I refuse an exquisitely stitched crinoline lady....

A Colorful World said...

Your beautiful stitches just bring things to life! Such lovely work, as always, Kathleen. I have missed you. I sometimes get very bogged down. Right now of course I am packing like crazy! We never dreamed of moving to Oregon, but that is where Life is taking us! I am so looking forward to it, though. It's going to be a wonderful "golden years" adventure!