I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, November 1, 2020

With the end of the year and the holiday season upon us

I have spent these days going through my fabrics
and cutting out new dinner napkins.
The present dinner napkins are looking very tired and worn.

With the help of my vintage sewing machine, 
and my supervisor, Taboo, watching over me,
I am able to quickly get the linens sewn and 
finished in a day. 
Hand stitching these would have taken forever.


However, I do like to hand stitch a decorative blanket stitch on my napkins.
They look prettier and the stitching keeps the edges lasting longer.

I managed to get a good amount of table napkins to last
for the year.



They are perfect for mix and match 

either on new dishes
or with a table set with vintage dishes.


Vintage plates seem to go with any fabric chosen
for a napkin.

I also crocheted new dishcloths........these
get very tired after a while of dish scrubbing.

It is also a great way to use up all of my scrap yarn.

Wanting to try something new, 
I crocheted, soft, cotton wash cloths

These will be perfect with a pretty bar of soap 
tucked into a basket for a gift for a friend.
However.......

 I think I am at the phase in life where
gift giving is not important.
I would rather have a chat/visit, 
an email to catch up, over a gift any day.
Sharing and catching up with friends  over a table set with pretty dishes and linens
and the warmth of friendship
just says 
"Come, Sit, Stay"







 

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Mixing and matching makes for a very cozy and inviting look. Your napkins and crocheted dish/washcloths are really lovely. Since February, I've only had several very brief encounters with a friend. Another friend did come to visit once but she has since moved to the States. I have always enjoyed my alone time but I'm even getting to the point where enough is enough. And I really want to come to the States to see my boys and my mom but they live all over the place (NY, CO and MS). Who knows when I'll get there with the way things are at the moment. Doesn't seem like it will get much better for many, many more months to come. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogosphere. Take care.

lil red hen said...

Your beautiful table settings and napkins made me feel right at home. I love plates with different patterns used together. It's more like days of old when women I knew probably didn't have matching sets. Your dishcloths are too pretty to use. ;) It's always good to read your posts!

Faith said...

I love the mix n match dishes, especially vintage ones. How pretty your table napkins are, and your colorful dishcloths.

Debra said...

A beautiful post!!! The table settings would make pretty paintings. I do love dishes, and real fabric napkins do set off both new and vintage ones. SO much nicer than paper napkins!!! Taboo is a gorgeous cat. Take care and stay safe!

Gina E. said...

Kathleen, you have been so busy during your lockdown! I lost my craft mojo back in February, and have only recently found it again, LOL. I've made Xmas bunting, a small Xmas wall hanging, an embroidered item for a friend who is dying, and am working on a small Xmas star cross stitch. You can see them on my blog.

Your table settings are all delightful. I have an enormous collection of vintage embroidered napkins which I use when we have visitors (who will appreciate them!), otherwise I use pretty paper napkins, of which I have hundreds, because I can't resist buying them when I see them. I use them for napkin art too.
I used to use sponge and microfibre dishclothes, but some friends have been giving me knitted and crocheted dishcloths lately and they are much better, for the environment as well.

Lady Locust said...

Hello~
I just found your lovely blog through your comment on Faith's blog :-) Your napkins are darling - as well as the place settings. I have a question for you, does your old singer have a name? (Mine is Gracie.)

Jeannie said...

This is exactly what I need to do with the bits of fabric I have shoved in a closet.
Do you machine hem around the napkin and then do the hand blanket stitch on top or is there only a blanket stitch? If there is only a blanket stitch, will it keep them from raveling in the washing machine? My cloth napkins take a beating being used often so I was wondering about that.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Olde Dame Holly said...

I agree about treasuring visits and interaction more than gifts...with our state again in lockdown, I do like to send little handmade gifts to let someone know I'm thinking of them during these days of keeping apart!