I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, May 18, 2008

A great stitch resource

I was taught the basic stitches of embroidery by my mom when I was 10. As the years passed, I learned more stitches either from kits I had purchased or books. I am still learning each day!
One of the best stitch guides I like to refer to is this book, The Readers Digest Complete Book Of Embroidery. It is full of projects, stitch instruction, and information. The stitches are shown in detail, step by step.

There are beautiful projects and also more challenging skills information when one is ready to try something new. There are a great number of embroidery books with all the information one needs to get their hands busy. A lot of these can be found at your local library, as well as on-line. The best thing to do after you have found something you want to try, is practice. Keep stitching the stitch over and over until you feel comfortable stitching it and it looks the way you want.



5 comments:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I love books like these. Their definitely informative, but they're also full of beautiful and inspirational pictures. This one looks great and I'll think I'll be on the look out for it to add to my embroidery book collection.
Patricia :o)

Paula said...

Thank you so much for the tip Kathleen.. I'm going to look on Amazon for this book. Maybe now my hair can grow back where I've pulled it out! LOL

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Oh no!!!!! Another book on my wish and drool list!!!! Thanks for the info on that. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you were now ordering your floss on line. Would you mind sharing where that is?????? Cora

Pam said...

What a great resourse.
I'm going to have to try to find that!
Thank you for your kind comments on my stitching!!! I took my photos at a bit of a distance on purpose....the stitching on the larger piece is just awful!! I can only hope that someday my Grands will look at it and say, "Oh look; I remember Mamaw making that," and overlook it's very obvious flaws!!
I'm completely self-taught- I didn't have the privilege of a Grandmother's guidance, and Mama just wasn't interested in such things. Where I got my interest in them is anyone's guess!!! I appreciate your encouragement, and I love your blog and seeing all of the beauty you've created.
Thank you, Kathleen.
Hugs,
Pam

Linda said...

This looks like a great book! From the picture I can see it does give great step by step instructions. I think this is a must have.

By the way, I love your rooster stitch and your Gideon and Gabriel are very handsome fellas.

Now I think I'll stop your kitchen for chat and a cookie:). Hugs, Linda