I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, May 12, 2008

I see french knots!

This weekend was filled with remembering the mothers and grandmothers in our family..... and for me, the time when I was a young new mother, rocking our babies to sleep. I really miss that time! I also love this time of year. Right between the cold winter winds and the harsh hot summer. Every thing is crisp and alive, and walks around the grounds are always so enjoyable.
Our holly bush has grown quite a bit in one year and the blossoms that it are now blooming look just like pearls among the red berries. What a pretty picture to embroider in french knots, don't you think? {:


The light and dark greens of the leaves really set off the white and red of the berries and blossoms. The birds have just about picked off all of the berries. What colors do you find inspiring? What do you find more inspirational....flowers? sunsets? the sky? ..... I can't wait to hear!


8 comments:

Paula said...

The colors in those pictures are beautiful, Kathleen.. I'm sure it would be beautiful to embroider! How many colors of floss do you keep on hand? Do you buy a little as you go... That's what I do- I buy a spool of pretty embroidery thread every time I'm at the Wal-Mart "just in case I need that color". tee hee

Paula said...

Ooops- me again. I meant to tell you that the sky has always inspired me.... There are so many beautiful colors in the sky at different times of the day- and no two sunsets are ever alike, no cloud formations ever to be seen again that same way.

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by flowers and also trees for some reason...I've always loved trees.....our Walmart has discontinued their floss...aaah! I have no idea where to get floss now...the nearest JoAnns or Michaels is over 40 miles round trip

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I am inspired by the colors of creation. The red & white in your photos is amazing. I had just decided today that I plan to redo our bedroom is those crisp, cheerful colors. Now I am convinced! I can hardly wait to begin.

Smiles,
Lea

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Paula, Dani, and Lea, I keep a ton of embroidery floss on hand, mostly because of the work I have done for other people. Also, the Wal-mart I shop at has also discontinued their floss. With no other nearby towns, I have started ordering online. Good luck Lea on your redecorating. I am sure it will be beautiful!blessings, all, Kathleen

LindaSue said...

I'm SO very impressed with your system for keeping track and handling your "tools of the trade". Your work is truly art so of course you should keep your supplies in good order. I love the sky and myriad colors but also water - all the colors of everything from ponds to rivers to the ocean.
Yes ma'am - french knots (I actually know what that is!) would be perfect for a holly design.

Shirl said...

Hi Kathleen, what beautiful pictures of your flowers! Yes they do remind you of french knots. I love to do them. I remember when I was 7 my grandmother said I was too young to learn how to do them so she just taught me lazy daisies, she said "next time I visit I will teach you french knots." Well I was so upset after she left that my father taught me how to do them. I"ve been doing them ever since on just about everything I make. My Dad's family all embroidered men and women. That was a nice post!
PS, I was upset about Walmart discontinuing their floss too! Now I have about and hour drive if I need floss. I just order from the internet!
Blessings, Shirl

Rhondi said...

Hi Paula I saw your comment on another blog and thought I'd come for a visit. The handwork you do is wonderful. I especially love the rooster one! I used to do lots of embroidery, needlepoint and crewel, but now I am a quilter.
FYI that bush is a nandina not a holly.
Rhondi