I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Matching Up With Nature

You know......, my blogging friends, I have posted about many things from the projects I have embroidered, the things I collect, the places and spaces I find inspiration in to create and about what kinds of flowers do you others like in embroidery. You all have been so good to comment and tell me your thoughts on everything! I do listen and your input has always been very helpful. When I had posted about the types of flowers you all like in embroidery, Lindasue over at Living in Buhl-a-land http://buhlaland.blogspot.com/ blog told me that wildflowers would be good. I also agree. Especially for where I live, there are acres and acres of wildflowers to see.
I use journals just about for everything. I have journals for my children's growing up years, our family life, journals on our life in the country, journals on my gardening and I just bought this journal pictured above for my embroidery design. Going back to wildflowers,
on the long walks Sophie and I take along the grounds, I take a lot of pictures of wildflowers and leaves.I think they are wonderful in color and design. Come over and take a walk with Sophie and me at my country blog, Eggs In My Pocket http://eggsinmypocket.blogspot.com/ After I take a photo, I pick a couple of leaves and blossoms to take home with me.

I then take out my stash of floss and match as best I can, the leaves or petals to the color of floss. Sometimes I take two different colors to blend together,(one or two strands from each skein put together) to get that certain hue.


This leaf has red and a hint of orange in it.



I then press the leaves and put which colors of floss I think would match well and keep them on a card to later refer to. After I get the photo processed, I place it in the journal along with the floss information and a drawn design of the flower or leaf for later embroidering. The photo is so good to go back and look at detail.





I just love this petally blue flower!




I think this color goes well with it, don't you think?







I could print the picture off myself, but it comes out rather larger than a processed photo does. I also like the clarity of a photo for referring to.






As you an see, there are more than one color of green in this set of leaves. It will be interesting to match the colors for embroidery, plus I love the design of these little leaves. So now, my question to you,.......many of you quilt, embroider, knit, spin, paint and much more......what inspires you in nature? The wings of a butterfly?....the fuzzy body of the bumble bee? , the dew drops on a leaf ??? I would love to hear!









13 comments:

Childers Corner said...

I love the flowers but I also love streams and lakes. I enjoy the nature paintings of Monet with their fuzzy pastel colors. I think he must have been nearsighted like me. lol

Jane Smith said...

I like anything nature. I would like to be able to go back to my cross stitch animals & finish making those so I can put them on a quilt. I have quite a few animals done, but it takes me a long time to do them.

I would also like to finish my lucky hearts quilt. It is in shades of blue, but done in squares. Applique a heart in each corner of the squares, then put them together to make a 4-leaf clover.

Conni said...

I’m with you. I am inspired by the wildflowers and weeds in the woods in my backyard. I like your idea of matching floss to flora and documenting it in a visual journal for later reference.

Carol............. said...

Kathleen...you are truly amazing!
I love the naturals that you've matched with the yarn..how perfect!

Paula said...

Boy, you matched those colors up just perfect, Kathleen!

The sky always inspires me, if for nothing else, just to stop and meditate for a little while. Birds make me want to take pictures, so I can make pencil sketches from them later. And a new fabric stash always inspires me... I'm like a kid with a new toy! LOL

Nancy M. said...

What a neat idea! I never thought to try and match the colors up like that!

Anonymous said...

A great tip for making embroidery more life-like. I am inspired by rocks, trees, grass and sky.

Margie said...

I love your journal. That is very inspiring and a great idea. I love the leafy greens, and also the simple, old fashioned flowers like zinnias, cosmos, marigolds, hollyhocks, etc. and also blue, blue water (even if it is in a swimming pool!)

Paula said...

Dear Kathleen,
What a wonderful idea, thank you so much for sharing this! You are so creative.

I love what you did with the broken china. I collect and use vintage dishes too. Sadly I have broken a few, but, like you, I save them and hope to do something pretty with all those pieces one day!

Love, Paula

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I LOVE how you matched your floss to the natural elements around you. That's wonderful! What inspires me? I'm not that creative and rely mostly on people to tell me what to do!! LOL!
Patricia :o)

Princess S said...

I love your journals...I bet they help keep your ideas straight in your brain. You are so talented. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!!!

Gina E. said...

This post is truly an inspiration, Kathleen - an insight into the mind of a creative person. I found the peep into your journal fascinating; you make it all sound so easy, matching your threads up to actual leaves and petals. But of course it would not be easy for most of us mere mortals, so we continue to visit your blog and admire your work!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh I just love how you matched up those nature finds the embroidery floss ~ how beautiful! And to keep it in a journal is a lovely idea.

Smiles, Lea