I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, April 22, 2019

All of the prairie and grounds throughout the woods and yard

 are filled with wildflowers of every color.  The fragrance in the air
is so sweet!
The red and orange Indian Blanket flower
(Gaillardia pulchella) ,

the Golden-eye daisy
(Viguiera dentata) ,

and the Blue Gilia 
( Gilia rigidula),

are on my mind as I stitch this luncheon cloth with matching napkins.
I have posted on this project a few months back,


getting inspiration to design this floral spray to match
a couple of vintage plates I have in my shop.


Whenever I find beautiful vintage plates, I try to design 
embroidered linens to go with them in hopes to sell
them "for a new life and new use"

I tinted the flowers with crayon tinting......as you can see on the 
faded un-embroidered sections on the cloth above.
I still have much stitching to do on this piece. 

I hope by now this finds you warmer with a blanket of 
wildflowers, instead of snow! 

Said the other, little daisy, "I am very well content
      To live simply in the meadow where the sun and rain are sent;
      Where the bees all gather sweetness, and the dew falls on my head,
      And the radiance of the moonlight is all around me shed.
"The grass and clover blossoms admire my beauty all day long,
      As I listen to the music of a bird's delightful song..."
~Gertrude Tooley Buckingham, "Two Little Daisies" (1940s) 

13 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful wildflowers. TFS Janice

lil red hen said...

How do you do all this lovely work!!!? Those flowers on the linens are perfect!
When I embroider I think of you.

Marianne Coyne said...

Kathleen, such lovely linens! You are so talented. The flowers are perfect and I'm looking forward to seeing them matched with the china. I love embroidered vintage look. Yes, there are some lovely dark yellow wildflowers growing all along the roadsides here. They are an extreme burst of sunshine and a joy to see.

Blessings,
Marianne xo

Marianne Coyne said...

Kathleen, what can I click on to get notices when you post?

Connie said...

I love that your embroidery design is inspired by vintage plates. How charming is that:) You do such lovely work.
The poem at the closing of your post is delightful.
Thank you so much for your prayers, they mean so very much,
Connie :)

Karen said...

Lovely flowers, both real and embroidered! I love the way you did the embroidery on those larger flowers especially!

handmade by amalia said...

I love your tablecloth, such a beautiful design and intricate work. And I was interested to hear that you are using vintage plates for inspiration. A clever idea. I'm a bit behind with my blog reading and didn't get to wish you a Happy Easter. Hope you had a lovely weekend.
Amalia
xo

Pam said...

Beautiful flowers and beautiful work. I used to embroidery when I was younger then I went to cross stitching, now I just find it hard to do any of that. But I learned with embroidery, and in the 70's is was so much fun doing it on jeans and jackets! Thanks for sharing your work.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How pretty! I am trying my best to learn to watercolor some of the wildflowers we are seeing here right now. Love the 'two little daisies'. I want to write some of that in my journal today! Enjoy your week!

Anita said...

Your embroidery is lovely and the colours!!!!! Our weather is starting to cool down for the autumn months but today is lovely and warm. Have a lovely weekend!

Hill Top Post said...

I have bought blanket flower at local nurseries before. It is beautiful and does well here. I so admire your flowers in stitch. Your work is so beautiful!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your photos are stunning. I also love the needle work on your cloth. Beautiful work!

Carol Henstra said...

My Mom used to do needle work like yours. Beautiful work you do.