I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Sometimes I just want the color..........red

 I have been stitching on two different cross stitch pieces ........one on one week, one on the next week........and both are lovely.  One is not enough done yet to show.......but this is the beginning stages of my "red garden sampler"


I have a cross stitch book that I just love by a French needlework designer , Marjorie Massey.  Her motifs and designs are so pretty! 
I think I have shown this garden lady to you before.  I had cross stitched her on screen wire........but it proved to be very tedious and hard......but I knew I wanted to cross stitch her again.  So I chose her actually as the main theme for the sampler I wanted to create.  
I love this border and decided to cross stitch it for my surrounding border.  I had a garden poem picked out for the sampler, but I have always loved this quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  And right in the middle of stitching and getting ready to start the garden poem............ I had an idea for a butterfly that looks like it is flying "out " of the sampler.  So I cross stitched this quote instead
This is how it is looking at the moment and I am so happy with it.  This is the first time I have cross stitched a piece without a complete pattern to go by and with an idea of making it a "personal" sampler with the things I love about a garden.  I am not sure how much or what else I will add and I am not sure how large it will be.  I am just cross stitching what the day brings to my heart.
But I love the whole red floss look......do you?
Do you like one solid color embroidered samplers?  If so,
do you like red, or do you prefer black......or maybe a dark blue?
I would love to hear!

**** with it being October, I have a wonderful fall treat recipe.
For the recipe , just click onto this link:
Here's wishing you pleasant autumn days





8 comments:

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Red Samplers would be my first choice; but I love the black and/or blue as well. You are creating a very special piece...a real treasure. I have never designed my own pattern. I usually just follow patterns.

Prims By The Water said...

I love redwork of any kind. YOur sampler is going to be gorgeous! Janice

Julia said...

Your sampler will look spectacular. I just love that border. I love red, black or blue equally. It all depends on where it will be displayed. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it. Love the butterfly. I've only cross-stitched from patterns.

Hugs,
Julia

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

HOLA KATLEEN: ME GUSTA TU BORDADO EN PUNTO CRUZ, PERO RECONOZCO QUE NUNCA LO HE INTENTADO, PREFIERO EL BORDADO COMUN, TUS PUBLICACACIONES SIEMPRE SON INSPIRADORAS. GRACIAS POR PASAR POR MI BLOG Y DEJAR TU DULCE MENSAJE POR EL CUMPLEAÑOS DE MI HIJA PRISCILA. ME ENCANTA EL PASTEL DE MANZANAS, PROBARE ESTA RECETA CRUJIENTE. ¡¡¡¡¡¡BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡

Debra said...

Great minds think alike! I was just outside wandering around in my yard-thinking-"I need to see some RED!" I want red leaves and vines and flowers! But then I saw your post-RED! It is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to say I have the patience to do such a lovely work of art, but I know I'd mess it up somehow!!! I LOVE redwork. My grandma had a quilt, which I now have, made up of many square blocks. Each of her friends got a block to embroider and then it was all sewn together. All the embroidery was done in red. It is amazing, and a real treasure. I should show it on my blog. Here I am writing a book instead of just a comment, but I am thrilled to see your beautiful redwork! Thank you for making my wish come true today!!!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I love redwork and blackwork embroidery and I think it looks fantastic to use on cross stitch, too! Personally, I think red goes with anything! Your sampler is not just going to be unique, but beautiful. The butterfly illustrating the Hawthorne quote was sheer genius!

Hill Top Post said...

How could any other color be more beautiful? The border couldn't be lovelier; nor the quote either. I think we are all in the mood for red here in October, so Redwork is perfect.

handmade by amalia said...

The color red
gets you out of bed
for the day ahead.
Have a slice of bread.
Amalia
xo