I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Fabric, Floss, and Inspiration

 



Here in Texas, the temperature for these February days have been 84 to 86 degrees! The Italian Jasmine in full bloom and these very pretty days


have gotten me wanting to do some kind of project in a spring flower theme.
The cosmos of my earlier gardens came to mind.
While browsing Pinterest, I came upon this wonderful applique link that I want to share with you

Applique the Jilly Way  I hope you enjoy this. 
 Her technique is wonderful for getting small petals and leaves ready for applique. 
I decided I want to applique cosmos in different calico prints.
I followed what her video showed and in no time, I had enough petals and stems
ready for my project.  Cosmos do not have petal shaped leaves .  Their leaves are long and thin. I will embroider those on later. 
I did not have the glue that is used  in the video to tac the pieces in 
place so I baste stitched the pieces.  I did not want to use regular
craft glue. 
Now I have the flowers appliqued into place.  I am not yet finished with this piece. I will be adding embroidery to the flowers and a few other details as I go along. Hopefully by the time I return back here, I will have a lovely piece to show you.
Do you do applique?  What do you like to applique?.....birds, animals, or flowers? 
I would love to hear. 












2 comments:

Debra said...

Oh your work is so pretty! I love the fabrics too. I am appliqueing and embroidering birds right now. I hope to show some on my blog soon. I am going to look at the link-thank you!

Prims By The Water said...

These are so pretty. Cannot wait to see how you finish with your embroidery. Janice