I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, March 31, 2019

I can now say..................it is finished !!

Whether it is the last stitch on your embroidery..........or quilt, the last brush of paint on your canvas,
the last chain on your hook of crochet, the last purl on your needle of your sweater,
or the last row planted in your garden...........
you know that excitement of it finally being the last of a project
that you have put your love and time into making.
As  you remember, I started this little quilt in October 2018..........
I placed my last stitch on it last night........almost 6 months later.
It came out just as I was hoping it would! 
To think I almost quit working on it a few times because of uncertainty of 
how it would look..........

I love the feel of it quilted! 
This quilt was made entirely of scrap fabrics that  I had in my 
stash.  The backing 
and the border are from old curtains I had made long
ago for our first home..........still pretty and in good condition.


hundreds of tiny triangles cut, 
hundreds of tiny stitches, .......many hours of stitching tiny stitches
all by hand.......


a little bit of embroidery here and there...........
and it is complete..............
but where to place it?  I usually hang my small
quilts on the wall, however, this one is a bit
larger......measuring 22 1/2" X 29"

So I decided to use it as a topping for my grandfather's old
trunk that holds my special vintage linens.

It fits perfectly and makes this spot cheery.
Now ....."My Summer Basket"  is 
complete.........so I am off to find my needle for 
another project! 
Tell me..........what are you working on.........
how long has it taken you?

16 comments:

lil red hen said...

Beautiful! and it's perfect for the trunk!
I've mostly been piecing tops, both large and small, and working on aprons.

mamasmercantile said...

So beautiful and the perfect place for it to reside. I am working on a crochet blanket and sewing some bags.

Henny Penny said...

The little quilt is so beautiful and is perfect for the old trunk. Way back when I was a teenager I loved to embroider dresser scarves and pillowcases. You could find such pretty ones in dime stores. That sounds so old fashioned now. My mother used to finish up pieces that I started and put aside. You do such beautiful work. Like you, I love the feel of quilted items.

Prims By The Water said...

Great job! I would still be working on it if it was mine to do. It is perfect on your heirloom trunk! Janice

Karen said...

I love your quilt! The design with its little pixel like squares, although actually made of triangles, remind me of some vintage dishes I have seen with floral petit point looking designs. I love those and your quilt is gorgeous!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't have any long running projects, except maybe the jacket that I am stitching patches on in the Boro style. Gosh I looked at each picture of your quilt and thought "O Wow" with each one. Your tiny stitching is wonderful. You have found the perfect place for this quilt.
xx, Carol

marianne said...

Kathleen,this is so beautiful and reminds me of needlepoint. Very well done! The fabrics used are delightful and I'm so happy your didn't quit on it.

Have a lovely day!

Marianne ♥

Anita said...

Such a beautiful finish and lovely piece of work. I also love quilting, it is very relaxing. x

Debra said...

This is art. I wish you'd get it published in a quilt magazine. I love it!!! The thought of all your hours, the time you spent stitching and thinking of other things as you worked-it's all woven into this piece, and it is superb.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I've not been very crafty lately but that's given me time to finish up a couple of books this past week. :)

Hill Top Post said...

This beautiful piece is larger than I realized. But, then a zillion tiny pieces do add up to something big, after all! :~) I love it! Lots!

The Tea Lady's Journal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KathyB. said...

What a beautiful tiny quilt. The detail work and love you put into it makes it priceless. Your handwork , as always, is exquisite. I love the embroidered Jacob sheep lamb I got from you and the embroidered dish towel of a very colorful rooster. The work you do is well worth saving simply because it is not only beautiful , but such hand work seems rare these days. ( I do embroider quite a bit, but my handwork can never compare to yours, which makes me appreciate what you do all the more.)

Faith said...

beautiful, and so cheerful. Those squares look mighty tiny....you must have nimble fingers and wonderful eyesight, bless your heart. Thank you for stopping over at my place and leaving a comment on the Crinoline Girl-wordless wednesday. I did crochet her several years ago now, and you can find the pattern here.

https://www.crochetmemories.com/shop/crinoline-girl-in-a-wreath/

Connie said...

This is such a beautiful piece! You found the perfect place to put it too!

Pam said...

I love that piece and I love the chest it is laying on....Beautiful.