I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

For all of you who tried to guess what my embroidered project was.........your guesses were very good......

but no one guessed that 
it is a handbag !

Now I am finished and can show it.

This photo you saw in the last post photo is the front pocket..........

I tinted the designs with crayon because I did  
not want the embroidery to look like "dish towel" 
embroidery.  Tinting fills in large areas and 
allows me to accent it with embroidery stitches.


I had to add a beaded dragonfly.  

and a colorful

assortment of 

butterflies.

I love floral scallops and added this to the top of 
the handbag. 

although the inside of the handbag looks good, I did not want 
the threads of the embroidery to get snagged by keys or 
to get stained by a leaky ink pen....
so I chose a colorful print fabric to line the 
inside of the bag

This butterfly and rose fabric was perfect to use as a liner......
don't you think so?


This is a very sturdy canvas bag and I love the black
bottom and straps. The thick canvas was very tiring 
on my hands to stitch, so I am beyond glad I am finished with this.

Thank all of you for your sweet comments and for playing along
by trying to guess.  
I think I am in the mood for cross stitch now and am 
planning on working on a couple of cross stitch projects that
need to be finished. 
How about you?
What are you keeping your hands busy with?
Painting, gardening, sewing, quilting, or embroidery?
I would love to hear!

12 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, this turned out beautifully. Job well done.

lil red hen said...

What a delightful surprise!! A handbag never entered my mind! It is very pretty. I like the idea of using crayons to fill in an area.
Last week I made a sunbonnet and a sun hat for my little great granddaughter. They both fit her well and looked cute on her, but she wanted nothing to do with either. :) My feelings weren't hurt but I was surprised since she has worn those bow things on her head since she was born. She just turned one year old.

mamasmercantile said...

Mt goodness what an amazing finish, it is beautiful. I loved the lining fabric too, stunning.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

your stitching is wonderful. Your crayon shading is perfection. I am in the middle of a project..including those little feet I showed in a recent post. Those feet are not sticking at all. I got the bright idea just this morning that I should color them onto the project with crayon. Thanks for posting and re-enforcing my thought as a good one.
xx, Carol

Prims By The Water said...

Great job and a gorgeous one at that! Janice

Hill Top Post said...

I also wouldn't have guessed a handbag. But, what a lovely one it is! The lining coordinates just perfectly with your wonderful stitching! When summer's work allows, I am still stitching ledger pages. I am beginning to get the hang of working on paper.

Faith said...

This is so beautiful. I love the dainty stitches which create the designs. You did a lovely job on it, and I think the inside looks lovely also. Protecting your work. I'm not a stitcher, but admire the the artwork of it, and the time and care you put into yours. Handmade/Homemade is so much better. Not another on the planet, just like you.
Thank you for stopping over my little place and commenting.

Anita said...

That bag is out of this world!!!!!!!! It is amazing and I bet you're very proud of it. x

Sandra said...

Bonitos bordados. Bom fim-de-semana.

Life After Social Security said...

Oh sis, I was so hopping you were still on the Internet. It appears you have realized your dream of opening your vintage store. I will give you my Word I will come back and view everything you have. This is a talent I never was gifted with.
I think I stopped long enough in 2015 to tell you my husband had passed away in December '14. I've moved into Little Rock, and have started blogging again. I'm going to reference your page on my blog, I didn't think you'd mind. And I do appreciate how busy your endeavors have you hopping, I wanted to leave you my website I just now finished.
http://www.lifeaftersocialsecurity.com
and - aforgivingjourney.blog (which should take you to facebook.)

Give me an update when you can. I'll be back as well. Doris Thompson


handmade by amalia said...

If ever I'm on a bus or a train and see someone with a gorgeous gorgeous bag that I want for myself, I'll know I've met you.
Amalia
xo

Jeannie said...

Oh gosh! The bag is lovely! How can you use it and risk getting it dirty? But, no, it should be used and carried so strangers can enjoy it also.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry