I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, March 9, 2020

It is all finished........well........for now

I have finished decorating each room of the dollhouse.
This is the children's bedroom. Since I have 3 children,
I made 3 beds.
The bed in the front of the photo is for a little boy.


The baby's bed has a decorated wall with little animals.


And there is a little girl's bed.

The dining room had to share the space with the living room 

I still need to paint the chairs and make cushions. 


The oven bake clay foods, dishes, and the handmade napkins and tablecloth
makes it all look like it is time to eat! 

So...from it's bare frame

to what it is now......I'm happy with it.
There is always room for wall hangings and such along the way. 

The days have been sunny , and warm, but also filled with 
rain showers. Leaving me to stay inside to do my handwork.
I usually toss all of our worn flannel shirts to the rag box after 
I have removed buttons, collars , and cuffs. And I usually cut them into squares
for rags. 
"Wear it out, use it up, make it do"

but I love flannel and I love the different plaids and colors. 
So this time, I removed all of the unworkable items, 
and cut the pieces into strips.

I then sewed the strips together and made a pretty
floor rug. (looking at the photo.......I realize my lens is dirty!)  

I hand painted flowers to give it some cheer.
It dresses up the bare floor perfectly!

I also made some hot pads.......

and then some chair cushions.....

which are really too thin to be cushions

but they look pretty.  They could also be placemats.
I am always surprised at what just a small strip or snippet of fabric
can be made into.  Have you repurposed old clothing into
something different?  I would love to hear! 



6 comments:

Faith said...

oh my this is so darling....

lil red hen said...

I'm drooling!! You've made a precious heirloom! Everything is perfect!
Yes, I sometimes feel "cheap" because I use every scrap big enough to be worked with. I even use yarn scraps to add a bit of interest to a white baby blanket.

Hill Top Post said...

I don't think I could allow anyone to sit on my beautiful chair pads. I can't imagine how much time and work you put into sewing the flannel strips together. They and the doll house are just gorgeous...works of art, for sure!

Prims By The Water said...

I really love your dining table. Your meal looks ready to eat! Janice

Debra said...

This is amazing!! I would love to play with it!
The things you made out of the flannel are nice too-love the textures and colors together.
Yes, I've made birds and animals from parts of old clothing. I miss doing that!

Faith said...

I just love this house, I'm trying to gently nudge my son into making me one. I just love how you've decorated it. So much fun. Thank you for leaving a comment, and for following, You do really pretty delicate work. Looking forward to seeing more.