I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Finding Time

 The house is clean and tidy, the laundry is dry and folded, the floors are mopped and clean, dinner has been fixed and dishes are done, and the gardens outside have been tended to.

I still have a little bit of time left to create........one thing or another.  And I do mean.........."a little bit of time".   When I happen to show the things I have made, to others, ......
it is a misconception when they comment that they envy all of the time I have to stitch, crochet, or create.......and they wish they had the same free time............
I am sure if you have creative hands.....and a household to run.......or a job to run to......as you read this.......you know exactly what I mean by misconception.  
For many of us, the creative things that we finally do get finished have actually taken us either a few days.......a few weeks........and sometimes.....a few months.....by carving out 30 minutes of a day....sometimes less.....

and when that one project is finished, we are joyful.  For me......this long process......or journey, as I like to call it.......is enjoyable as I slowly edge my way towards completion.  If I could crank everything out as quick as a factory, I am sure the piece would not mean as much to me. 
There is something that gives me contentment about the tiny moments, stolen away, working with color and design.......and then seeing the whole process turn into what I imagined it to look like.  
It doesn't matter........whether it's an hour or just a few moments......finding the time to create something is my "escape from the maddening world"....it's what gives me joy!
So how about you?  Maybe you are busy with your home and family?........perhaps you have long hours at your work?.......maybe that little slice of time is always elusive......
I encourage you........as hard as it may be........find those few stolen moments .........pick up a needle, a hook, or a paint brush........give yourself some joy.............make yourself some time to create!



 








 


7 comments:

Julia said...

You are so right. I always make priority lists and everything else falls into place. I'm also asked how do you do it all? Actually, I don't do it all. Only the things that are most important get done first and depending on the situation, I usually find time to do fun things with my fingers and fibers. Sometimes it's knitting, crochetting, quilting, rug hooking, or sewing. In the summertime after the household chores are done, my spare time is spent in the gardens mostly. I create more in the winter.

The broken china collage is very pretty.
I'm glad I took the time to check your blog.
Hugs,
Julia

Hill Top Post said...

What a beautiful post! I have lots of quotes in my journals about time. It is essential, I think, that we find a way to spend some time each day creating something we love. I also love your broken china collage.

Prims By The Water said...

So right about this. I have no many drawings, patterns and things in progress and so little time to complete them all in...especially when creating items for my store. Janice

Debra said...

I also love that time when I can just sit and do something that only I may see. Paint or thread and cloth-it makes the world seem right!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

HI AMIGA: ME ENCANTA TU NUEVO MENSAJE, TIENES TANTA RAZON Y ME SIENTO IDENTIFICADA CON TUS PALABRAS, AMO TEJER, BORDAR COSER, ESTOY HACIENDO LINDOS REGALOS PARA OBSEQUIAR A MI EXTENSA FAMILIA A FIN DE AÑO, CUANDO ESTEMOS TODOS REUNIDOS FESTEJANDO LA LLEGADA DEL NUEVO AÑO, SON TANTOS HIJOS, NIETOS, YERNOS Y NUERAS QUE APROVECHO EL TIEMPO LIBRE QUE TENGO ENTRE TANTO TRABAJO EN MI HOGAR PARA ADELANTAR LO QUE ESTOY HACIENDO, ESPERO TERMINAR TODO LO QUE ME PROPUSE HACER, SE QUE SERA MUCHO TRABAJO, PERO YA EMPECE HACE ALGUNAS SEMANAS Y ESTOY FELIZ DE LO QUE HICE HASTA AHORA. DESEO QUE TENGAS UN PACIFICO OTOÑO Y SIGAS CREANDO MAS BELLOS TRABAJOS DE BORDADOS, ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? VERAS LAS COSAS LINDAS EN LAS QUE ESTOY TRABAJANDO. DIOS TE BENDIGA Y TE PROTEJA DE ESTE MUNDO TAN MALVADO.

Tink's Tinkerings said...

I am planning to spend more time on blogger, I have not been here for a while. I love all your amazing needle work. I will be back, thank you for sharing.

Gina E. said...

Hi Kathleen, it's been a while since I visited your blog, and as always, it has given me much pleasure to read, and admire your photos. I sometimes take years to complete one project, because I don't have the time to finish it in one sitting! I recently finished a Crazy Patchwork quilt wall hanging that took me 15 years. My mother in law started a floral stamped linen table cloth around the 1940-50 era, but never finished it, so she gave it to me. I have done quite a bit of work on it but sadly don't think I will ever finish it, and as I haven't got anyone to pass it on to, I doubt if it will ever be worked on again.
On the other hand in recent years I have completed many UFOs which have been languishing in my craft room for years. I was determined to finish them!