I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Lots And Lots Of Little Things

 

A couple of posts back, I posted this photo with of tiny pastry food I had made from 
oven bake clay, telling you I would post later what I was planning on 
making with this. 
I have had this box for the longest time and I knew I wanted
to make something with it
I made a miniature coffee shop
I hand made an enclosed pastry cabinet for some of the pastries 
and filled the pie safe with other pastries and things I made.

I call my boxes "miniature room boxes" and 
enjoy making them from time to time.
Currently, I have been embroidering very small 
motifs
to make brooches and pendants to sell in my 
shop. 
I had hand stitched and hand quilted this miniature quilt
back in 1999.  At one time I had it hanging on the wall,
but I have found a wonderful use for it.
I love old chairs.  This Jinny Lind chair is 
in rough shape and has been sitting in my vintage shop
for a long time. 
I decided to place a board seat onto it and paint
it a dark brown.
I realized the miniature quilt was the perfect fit for the chair.
I stuffed it slightly as I was attaching it to the chair.
Now it is like a "new" chair.  It sits beside the Jenny Lind
bed in our guest bedroom. 
My hands have had enough to do this summer to keep busy.
My mind is filled with so much more to get started on. 
So tell me, what have you kept your hands ....and mind.....
busy with?  I would love to hear!























10 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Oh how amazing your coffee shop is. I so love all of the intricate pastries you made. Hoe creative. Love your embroidery pieces and that quilt is the cats pajamas and a purr-fect fit for your chair. Janice

lil red hen said...

Kathleen, you never cease to amaze me with your talents! I've loved "room boxes" since a blogger a few years ago made some. Just what I would have loved doing as a kid. Your boxes make me want to play dolls again.

Actually my creative abilities are becoming more and more in the past. My hands and fingers shake too much to do really delicate work. I am trying to quilt by taping the thimble to my finger. lol
This year the farmer has had a lot of health issues and so jigsaw puzzles have been my go-to for stress relief.

It's so good to read your words again. Take care and God bless you. Charlotte

Leigh said...

I'm always so impressed with miniature anything. It's not something I have the patience and dexterity for, so I'm always amazed at people who do.

My garden and livestock fill much of my days to keep me productive and busy. But my personal treat is weaving. That keeps me busy - hands, mind, and heart.

Julia said...

Tiny but mighty beautiful. What a great pastime. You are very creative with your hands. The chair looks great. I've been pickling and harvesting and caring for my husband all summer and haven't been hooking rugs this summer.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs
Julia

Debra said...

I love your little rooms! They are so well done, and so intriguing!
I have been painting, a bit of gardening, and now picking our apples and making applesauce. And yum-it is good!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

QUE LINDA QUE QUEDO TU SILLA KATLEEN¡¡¡¡¡¡ ME ENCANTA EL RESULTADO. TAMBIEN ESTOY CREANDO MUCHAS COSAS, HE PUBLICADO EN MI BLOG ALGUNAS COSAS QUE HICE RECIENTEMENTE, MI INVIERNO ESTA LLEGANDO A SU FIN AUNQUE TODAVIA HAY DIAS FRIOS Y ENCIENDO MI ESTUFA A LEÑA, PERO SE SIENTE EL CLIMA CALIDO ANUNCIANDO LA PROXIMA PRIMAVERA. ESTOY PENSANDO EN MIS PROXIMOS PROYECTOS, QUIERO HACER VARIOS REGALOS PARA FIN DE AÑO Y OBSEQUIAR A MIS SERES AMADOS. TE ENVIO UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA. BENDICIONES.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love all your handwork. You are very talented.

We Two Travellers Living the Life said...

Late to the party, but I just love your miniature pastry shop, what a fantastic job! Now I've got to dig up your older posts with your other "rooms". Take care, Linda

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Just stopping by your blog to say "Hello," and hope you are having a great day and will have a happy fall.

Jeannie said...

I am amazed at what you have created! The miniature pastry looks delicious!
The Jenny Lind chair you redid is exactly what I need to do to my Grandmother's old chair I inherited. The seat needs recovering but I had no idea what to do. Now you have inspired me.
Jeanne@GetMeToTheCountry